wierd kde+ keyboard lockup, mouse still works

chef_kunal

hi

i m having this wierd problem with kde.

also actually with gnome etc. attimes my keyboard locks up and the mouse still works. only the screen is totally frozen and mouse clicks dont work. ctrl-alt-bkspc also and ctrl+alt+F1-f10 also dont work. I have no choiuce but to do a reset. The pc stll apperas to be working as i can move the mouse pointer around, and the acecat tablet i havestill works too.

My system works perfectly most of the time. Even UT2003 demo i can play for hours without any problems.

I can recreate this problem whenever i want by opening file dialogs. such as those i use to select a graphic to use as wallpaper or panel background. browsing one or two subdir's down the lock up happens.

I have tried to find out why, i disabled ( uninstalled) hotplug, disabled ide UDMA5/4, supermount etc. i also check all the logs but no clues.

also when i use a tar or gzip or zip frontend, like ark or file roller this will happen. doesnt happen with cmd line tar or gzip. this is actually the first time it happened.

copying files or even 1-2 gb a a time also doesnt cause any problem.

can somebody help me out. this is really strange and in three years of using linux i have never seen such a problem thats so irritating.

grateful for any info.

Kunal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

config-

Athlon Xp 1700, nforce asus , 512 mb ddr, 80 seagate barracuda, 20 gb seagate, samsung cdrw, acer scanner, nvidia gf2mX400, acecat tablet. Ml 9.0.

===========================================

The first question is what is new to this system that could have produced the results you are describing. The one that struck me first was the acecat tablet. The second is whether there are any other failures or anomolies that are new. Try changing only one thing at a time to see if you can isolate the problem. My bets are on the tablet.

Counterspy

hi.

i have thougt about what you said and actaully the newest thing on the pc is my 80gb harddrive thqat i was first using at udma5 using hdparm -d1X69m16. My tablet is really old . i have been using it or the past two years and most of the time it quietly lies in one place without using. Although in the case of a system hang it still works. Just like the mouse.

Is there any thing else someone can think of?

• 2 weeks later...

checf_kunal,

This is regarding ur post in http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=15 which says ur lockup problems are gone.

Firstly, overclocking ur geforce2 is not a good idea. Next, what version of nvidia drivers are u using ? A major change has been made in the 4191 release of the nvidia drivers, as evident from page 10 of http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-...uxNotes4191.pdf .

The RenderAccel option is now off by default. In the previous version (3123), it was on by default and was known to cause lockups with anti-aliasing fonts. So if u r using the 3123 drivers, make sure u have RenderAccel disabled.

Also, in my case, by default, /dev/nvidia* has 666 mode and I have no lockup problems (I am using kde3.1rc5 on mdk-9.0 with 3123 drivers). So its strange that u needed 777. In fact, I doubt the mode change has anything to do with the lockups.

Firstly, overclocking ur geforce2 is not a good idea.

I did overclock it and that was for a small time just to test and that was it. I wasnt running it with the overclock on except this one time nd that was with windows.

I am using the 4191 drivers with render accel on.

by default, /dev/nvidia* has 666 mode

I actually didnt check the mode in /dev so i dont know what mode was there before i 777'ed it. Also i didnt try 666 at all!!!

Let me see if it wirks as welland ill post it here.

I doubt the mode change has anything to do with the lockups.

Well once i had this prob with ut2003 crashing at the splash screen.

Then i did the same thing. and ut2003 worked. thats what led me to think of this. While i may share your doubt the point is that it worked. Of course in this case also UT2003 did run fine when i was in root. That too me at least strongly suggest that its a permission problem. also considering that all i did was change the permisison to 777 and didnt do anything except login again, would suggest it as a permission problem , wouldnt it? Any way while i can tinker im no expert!!!

666 sounds more restrictive and yes i should try that out and ill post my experiebce here.

:?: more and more wierd.

Ok i changed the pernmissions to 666

all shit happened. X wouldnt start giving a log message of too many input devices.

Ok then i restarted

now i have

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

#Option "DPMS"

#Option "nvagp" ""

Option "NoLogo" "on"

Option "PageFlip" "on"

Option "HWCursor" "on"

Option "RenderAccel" "on"

Option "DigitalVibrance" "20"

EndSection

and also........

[root@chefsbox chefkunal]# ls -al /dev/nv*

crw------- 1 chefkunal root 195, 0 Jan 1 1970 /dev/nvidia0

crw------- 1 chefkunal root 195, 255 Jan 1 1970 /dev/nvidiactl

--

]

so what gives?

my kde is not crashing. hope it stays that way!!! :lol:

so i guess youre right....

well just as long as it works.....

Guess what happens when you loose mouse movement in CS.

YOU DIE!!! you die quick!

i'm guessing wine is causing your issue, so it may not really be related to this issue other than in the end product....a stuck mouse :)