boot

Guest eric_s

I had installed a dual boot windows/mandrake linux9.1 on my laptop computer. Everything was great until I decided to allocate more space to the swap partition using PartitionMagic (a tool to partition, format partitions). I was very naive!

During the process of taking space from the windows partition for allocating it to linux an error occured. I had to turn off and my computer. Then it was impossible to restart linux. Running PartitionMagic again I saw that memory has been allocated between the partition that contains the dual boot and the linux partition.

I try the rescue mode from the cd and I got the following message: could not find image kernel.

Using "captain nemo" software for windows I am able to see evrything that is still in my linux partition. It also allows to edit file in the linux partition.

What could I do to fix the problem without reinstalling (if possible) everything ?

If I can access mandrake again what's the best way to increase swap memory safely ?

I do thank everyone for your suggestion, advice...

Eric

:thanks:

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

do you have a live-cd? it seems that the fstab-file (also mtab?) and lilo.conf do have some serious problems now that the partition sizes got changed. you can try and boot a live cd, then edit the corresponding files of your mandrake-system and if you are really lucky, this might help, but i doubt it.

usually, once a system is set up, users should not change partition sizes with partition-magic after everything is in place. it will always cause trouble. even on only-microsoft systems.

with respect to your swap size: it is always recommended to make it at least double size of your actual ram, but i always suggest to make swap double-ram size of what your box can possibly have as maximum. e.g. if you have 256 mb ram, normal would be 512 mb swap. but if you have two slots, each one of them capable of running with 512mbram, it is best to give swap ~1gb size by default, just in case you might upgrade your ram later. ;)

for the moment, i don't have any other ideas to offer.

i put this pm here just in case someone else has the same problem, so all can benefit from the solution. :)

Here is the lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda6

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/fr-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off failsafe"

read-only

other=/dev/hda3

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

here is the fstab:

/dev/hda6 / ext2 noatime 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda3 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,ro,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

Actually with what happened, the linux partition should be 7 and the swap should be 8.

I have the linux mandrake 9.1 installation too.

I do thank you again for your suggestions!

Eric

okay, the linux should be partition seven, the swap eight. so the lilo.conf should look like this (i hope):

boot=/dev/hda7

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/fr-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off failsafe"

read-only

other=/dev/hda3

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

the fstab should be changed to this:

/dev/hda7 / ext2 noatime 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda3 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,ro,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

make sure that no other partition numbers have changed before editing these files! if they have, you have to change them accordingly in lilo conf and fstab. if you need further help, post youor questions here.

good luck :thumbs:

:)

Edited by arctic