Crap naggit linux won't boot into gui

fangbite

Ok I was doing something from this thread http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=19090 when I got this problem. When i boot into linux i get only as far as the command line login. Usually it goes straight into kde but the screen flickers then it goes to command line. When i tell it to boot into kde the screen flickers then it says several keys have been redefined, the font 'fixed' cannot be loaded and the server has crashed. I need this problem fixed. The computer is a Dell Latitude CPX (laptop) with mandrake 10.0 OE installed. Any help appreciated.

Try restarting the font server:

as root type /etc/init.d/xfs stop <enter>

/etc/init.d/xfs start <enter>

PS You mean you got these problems when you removed the fonts? That shouldn't matter as far as I know. You sure you removed just the fonts?

fonts:/ is just .fonts. Meaning the fonts got replaced when you copied them there.

There's more discussion of this problem over on this thread. I'm in much the same boat myself, as you can see. I've Googled around and have found several suggestions, which I will try this evening.

I finally said screw it, reinstalled the root partition, made an exact replica of my past home user, but the problem is that the old user (same name and pass as the new) isn't letting the new user access the files, therefore kde can't boot. Whats the best way to give permissions to the old user john, to the new user john.