Samba Woes

angrylittleman

Hello All

I am trying to configure my desktop for samba. I am running three machines total.

1 IBM laptop - Running MD 10. This computer can see the desktop machine and ping it in both windows and Mandrake. I can see shared folders in MD but not in windows. I can't print in either.

1 Dell Desktop - this is the computer I would like to run as a server. It is connected to a printer (HP LaserJet 6P). I would like to put it under my desk with no mouse, monitor or keyboard. I can log into it using tightvnc with my IBM Laptop, using KDE remote desktop.

1 Dell Laptop - I plan to dual boot (like the IBM) but right now it is windows XP and it can ping the server, but can see shares.

I had tried following numerous walkthroughs, both here and on google. I have tried configuring using Webmin and the KDE GUI tool for Samba configuration. I have followed this walkthrough to no avail:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-h...tm#_Toc80801653

Here is my smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT

# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)

# Date: 2004/09/17 11:59:23

# Global parameters

[global]

workgroup = SKYNET

server string = Mandrake Server

encrypt passwords = yes

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

max log size = 50

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

printcap name = cups

dns proxy = no

force user = nathan

force group = home

printing = cups

restrict anonymous = yes

ssl compatibility = no

ssl require clientcert = no

ssl require server cert = no

ssl = no

domain master = no

preferred master = no

max packet = 0

ssl entropy bytes = 0

[printers]

comment = All Printers

path = /var/spool/samba

create mask = 0700

guest ok = yes

printable = Yes

print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side printer drivers.

printer name = Printer

[storage]

comment = All Accounts

path = /storage

read only = No

guest only = Yes

guest ok = Yes

[Home]

comment = All Accounts

path = /home

read only = no

guest only = yes

guest ok = yes

What am I doing wrong? I have to be missing something; Thanks so much in advance.

ALM

Did you ever consider a KVM for the server? I just got one and it works a treat. Better than VNC !

I'm not an expert in samba configs, but one thing that helped me was to allow explicitly a range of IP addresses (my lan addresses) to access samba.

And you've checked all the obvious things like workgroup names on all machines (especially, and obviously, the ones that don't co-operate !)

I'm checking your samba.conf against mine and I have the following listed that you don't (under global parameters)

guest ok = yes

username map = my/user/name.map

map to guest = Bad User

create mask = 0777

directory mask = 0777

guest ok = yes

some listings you have set = No, are not listed in my file, and I'd assume would be set to default = No, anyhow!!

Some of my 'Global' configs, are listed in your 'Share' configs.

You would think that with masks of 077 in my 'global', that would give unfettered access, but it doesn't. Only access is to the share I have created, and set to read and write, as a source of offline storage.

But as I said I have no problems with XP-mdk 10.0 and 10.1 networking.

Hope this helps

You know, there is a Samba configuration tool in KDE. It's a plugin for Konqueror. Try configuring your samba.conf using that. It works great (at least for me). It is located in: System -> Configuration -> Networking. If it isn't there, install it.

Can your IBM laptop access the Server ? Can it "see" it in Smb4k or in My Network Places ? Try typing (in Windows) in explorer this: \\server_ip (ie: 192.168.1.1).

It takes a while till Windows "discovers" the Linux machines AFAIK. I'm part of a Windows network the only Linux boxes being mine and the server and we get along well. Windows users "see" me, I "see" them. :)

KVM switch is a great way to share one set of Keyboard Video and Mouse with multiple computer boxes.

Mine is a 4 port, I got it for $90 AU (about $50US), and you can get a 2 port for around $60 ($30 US).

Plugs into sets of computers and at the press of a switch you have access to either, instantly.

You can even get "KVM over the internet switches" but very pricey.

when I type in \\serverip in windows, I get nothing. I can still ping the server, but I can't map to it.

I am using the samba configuration tool in KDE. I have also tried Webmin and SWAT. Both MD machines can see each other and map to each other, but I can't print from laptops in MD. Windows can't see anything but its own shared drives and can't print.

KMV would be good, but I want to just run my linux box and connect to it with both of my laptops. I dont have a lot of room on my desk, so my real estate crunch forces the server to sit under the desk.

Any other suggestions?

If you can ping the Server from Windows then it means there must be a configuration error.

Check these things:

- all 3 machines are on the same workgroup

- your shares are browsable, available and public.

What Windows are you running on your IBM laptop ?

Are you running a firewall on any of your boxes ?

Edited by a13x

What version of samba are you running? I had problems intermmitently with 3.0.2a. I see on my local mirror that the current update is 3.0.6-something.

I'm not certain that this is your problem but start with the least bug free? software.

edit:

I've kind of been playing around with my smb.conf file and I did notice some strange stuff when I set my hosts allow parameter.

If I set a range eg. 192.168.0.a-192.168.0.z I couldn't access certain shares like the / file :thumbs:

But when I set the individual LAN IP addresses eg. 192.168.0.x, 192.168.0.y, 192.168.0.z it allowed full access :oops: to all files everywhere.

ALM, do you want me to post my smb.conf file and you can modify it to suit your network?

Edited by arthurking

could you post your smb.conf file? My concern with the box is security. I since it is connect to my router, the internet connection still works. Since I would like to leave it unattended for the most part, I don't want it to get hacked or whatever. Like I stated earlier, I am just looking for a file and print server. Thanks.

alm

Hi again.

First up I have to say that, I'm not a networking guru, but my understanding is that if you specifically set the IP's manually, it sets other IP's to no access, or a login prompt.

What type of router do you have? Does it have firewall capabilities. If so you should be safe behind it. Make sure it doesn't use the default admin password though. As long as your not serving files to the internet and therefore not port forwarding on your router, I'd say you're very unlikely to be hacked.

Here's my current smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/09/25 11:10:37

# Global parameters
[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
guest ok = Yes
create mask = 0777
username map = /etc/samba/user.map