I need ftp server help.

arthurking

Don't believe the title, I need psyciatric help!

Don't ask why, but I'm trying to set up a ftp server @ home. (OK, just for fun, if you really must know. And out of curiosity!!)

I set up the server OK(ish), and with very loose security (its behind a firewall router, and not always on)

OK, and I can log in as anonymous and as my user, arthur, and as root!

My problem is, when I access the server as anonymous, I see nothing in the allowed share, which I called "/ " and set it at "/ftp/files". No files, nothing. But only when using a GUI ftp client such as Bear or WS. I can upload files using the said GUI(s), but if I use the CLI or windows CMDPrompt, I can see all files, dot files and all! Even though I can't see any files in a GUI client, files are there and I can delete, move and see them in a CLI.

I'm using ProFTP server (I only know of 2 other ftp servers, WUftp and vsftp).

I am tialling this out in 10.1 rc1, mind you so this could also be a problem :P

The default '/' home directory was set up but webmin at /var/temp, and it took some time to find this out! And I set it to /ftp/files

I reckon I need some coaching in the art of 'ftp server setup'

Yep YOU. You may know something, anything. A link to a site! A friend that admins a FTP server farm! Even a 'better' ftp server (RPMs only) with an easy GUI admin interface, that I can learn from.

I have 1 gripe with ProFTP (using Webmin). In one setting there is a ShowDotFiles config that causes errors when starting the service, and I have to delete this line to get it to start :furious3:

This is driving me nuts, and it really shouldn't :unsure: