toshiba/tried at least 10 times - SOLVED

Hello again! After not being able to install on my dell laptop..I'm back with a new laptop..tosiba a70..beautiful thing.

but can I install linux.....I'm gonna be grey by the time I do..(more grey) ;-)

dnloaded v10 twice..mandrake...IT WILL NOT BOOT UP ..not once

I've partititioned ...and that just screwed up my computer...had to use recovery cd..gross

so...any idea what I"m doing wrong...please...three cd's...insert the 1st one..and nothing every happens..and yes i have it set to boot from the cd..

thanks..desperate to put linux on.ANY VERSION

Didn't boot from the cd? That is strange.. Are the cds bootable in another computer?

And how do you try telling the toshiba to boot from cd? Using the option in the windows bios controller or press f12 or C button during bootup?

I do the f12 thing..I haven't tried it on another computer to see if it will boot from it..I will try today though...I also tried a backpack drive..no luck either...I am sure I have tried to insert disk 2 also..but will go and try all these suggestiions now..and will report back..

THANKS..

bren

Didn't boot from the cd? That is strange.. Are the cds bootable in another computer?

And how do you try telling the toshiba to boot from cd? Using the option in the windows bios controller or press f12 or C button during bootup?

ok, I tried booting from disk 1 and 2 on both copies that I have no luck..........I tried booting from the dell also...even though the dell can't take the cd's..it still should have tried to read from them right? I'll try another p4 later on..but now I'm thinking maybe it's my copy..even though I've tried 2 different sites to dnload from..any other ideas?? redownload AGAIN..?? takes hours n hours..LOL

ok downloading it again..from here" ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandra.../iso/10.0/i586/

hope that's ok..I have a p4...toshiba laptop..am I suppose to partition first??????

if I useed partition magic 8 it has a thing for linux? should I do the three partitons? it also has a thing to setup linux?? so confusing..I messed with it yesterday ended up with 24 partitions or something stupid..had to insert the cd that came with this computer to get windows back..LOL not that I minded I've been trying for days to get linux to even boot..

so third time downloading again..

FIXED IT...

guess what---i used the software that came with toshiba to burn my disks..BAD MISTAKE..

so after reading more posts on here, I dnloaded another program and used it..and it works..now I have another problem which I best post under installation..

THANKS FOR REPLYING TO THIS POST... it at least gave me someeee ideas...

I bet when you burned the cd's you just made a data cd, and didn't use the tool to 'make and iso from image' or some other wording. Did that many times.

IF I were you, I'd use Partition Magic to make at least 3 extened partitions using your empty space after you run defrag:

1)double size of your ram as type ext3 for swap

2) xx gb for the / (root) partion as type ext3 (remember the size so you can tell which one it is when you install linux. I think you can give it a label in PC, but not sure what that'll look like to the MDK installer

3) xx gm for your /home partition as type ext3.

Now boot from the cds, when you get to the partitioning part, you'll see you 3 ext3 partitions that you can set to /, home, and swap and you'll not have to worry about the linux patitioning tool messing with the xp partition.

Its worked for me many times. Make sure your bios is set to boot from the cd first. You didnt mention if you set that yet.

RObert