How do I change monitor dpi settings?

Guest bailout

How do I change my monitor resolution? I mean the dpi setting that affects font display not screen size ie 1024x768 etc.

I have been trying to improve the display of fonts without much success. For some reason mdk sets my monitor to dpi 72x72 (from xdpyinfo). I have just installed suse to compare and suse sets the dpi at 93x93. I have found a reference that most monitors are built to display fonts at 94x94, which makes sense as windows normal size fonts are 94dpi.

So how can I make mdk use a 94x94 dpi? I am running mdk 10oe and it has automatically identified my monitor.

thanks

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself.

Open file: /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

Look for line: :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16

And change it to: :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16 -dpi 96

Or if that crashes X to: :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 96

Or don't use the xfs sever (x font server) at let X deal with your fonts. Edit The XF86Config-4 file and make sure the 100dpi fonts are before the 75dpi fonts.

Or check if you have the 100dpi fonts installed :D

Good luck.

I would suggest you use

XFDrak

Go to your menu and open a terminal or console. This is a command window where you can type commands.

Type

XFDra and hit the tab key

It should complete the command for you. Then hit RETURN.

You can also just type XFDrak and hit RETURN.

Then go through the video and monitor setup process..

There are probably other ways to do this, but since you sound like you are new to linux, I felt a GUI approach may be better than trying to alter text files to achieve your results.

Thanks for the replies.

devries, that sounds a bit experimental ;) I think I will keep it in reserve for the moment :)

cannonfodder, I have tried xfdrak and it doesn't seem to have any options for the dpi setting.

I may post it to Tips and Tricks one day... I did this quite a few times, it worked for me.

1. As root, edit the file /etc/inittab. Locate the line

id:5:initdefault:

and change it to

id:3:initdefault:

2. Exit X server (Logout, or Restart Computer, or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, whatever you prefer). The computer will boot into console (no nice GUI), THIS IS NORMAL. Login by typing your user name and password, then start X server

$ startx -- -dpi 96

3. When in X, open the terminal and check whether you use 96x96 fonts

$ xdpyinfo |grep dots

4. If you're happy with the fonts, make the settings permanent. Type this

$ xdpyinfo |grep dimensions

and write down the size in millimeters, e.g., 296x222 in my case. Now login as root, and edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. BACK UP THE FILE FIRST, just in case. Scroll down to "Section Monitor", and add the line

DisplaySize 296 222

to that section Certainly, you should use the values you have written down. Now exit X (Logout or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) and check that everything is Okay by typing startx. This time do not use -dpi 96 option.

5. If you're happy, change /etc/inittab back; see Step 1. Restrart X or reboot. Your'e done.