OpenGL and Prosavage8

volfro

Hi,

This sucks. My computer uses the VIA Prosavage8 integrated graphics card, card KN266 if you're curious. It's fairly dinky--not made for much, with only 4 megs of ram, but it gets the job done.

So my problem: I would LOVE to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory under Linux. This OS has outperformed my XP install in many ways, and I'd love to see how the game runs under Linux as opposed to XP, but there's no OpenGL support for my card that I can find under Linux! I need OpenGL drivers for my card if I want to play E-T, or even Tux Racer.

Anybody know ANYTHING? I've been googling and cross-referencing for hours. VIA makes you think you're getting a driver when, in fact, you're getting a .PDF of driver installation instructions. S3 doesn't give crap. I've installed the latest probo drivers.

Speaking of which, from probo itself:

DRI/OpenGL/Mesa support.

There is currently no DRI driver for the Savages for XFree86 4.x, which means that OpenGL applications are entirely simulated in software. There was work going on at one time to add this support, by the same fellow who did the UtahGLX driver for XFree86 3.3.6, but his e-mail address no longer responds.

Does that mean I can downgrade my XFree86 to an earlier version and get OpenGL support or what? Is it wise or even possible to downgrade XFree86? Because I keep getting

You are using software Mesa (no hardware acceleration)!
Driver DLL used: libGL.so.1
If this is intentional, add
      "+set r_allowSoftwareGL 1"
to the command line when starting the game.
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
XF86DGA Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
XFree86-VidModeExtension Activated at 640x480
Received signal 11, exiting...
[vincent@localhost vincent]$

when I try to run it, and when I allow software GL, it runs at about a frame every three or four seconds. Good old Signal 11 is makin' me mad.

Help! I want to play E-T with Linux, not Windows! (Ever since I've been working with Linux--about two weeks ago or so--Windows feels incredibly sluggish and unsafe. I love this OS, even though I've had hardware goofiness--check my other posts if you think you can help..)