new to mandrake; want internet access

Guest tylersrevenge

Guest tylersrevenge

So I installed mandrake 10.0 like 2 days ago. I've been adjusting to it, but I cannot figure out how to make ICS available. Here is a few questions I posted to another friend in another forum:

" got Mandrake 10.0 up and running correctly, and I'm getting used to everything now, but what I really want to do is get a internet connection, and to do so I'm going to have to be networked from an XP machine downstairs....

So, at first linux wasn't detecting my ethernet card, even when I switched slots. So I went out yesterday and bought a new ethernet card, and linux did detect it, although, when configuring it I don't really know what to put in where. I put in what I thought was appropriate:

Connection you want to configure - I put LAN

Network interface - eth0: Realtek|RTL-8139 which was what it had it set to cause of my network card

Automatic IP

Then it said assign host name from DHCP adress, and I just unchecked that box, cause I dont know what that is.

For Host name, I tried both my downstairs computer's ip adress and 192.168.0.2

Zeroconf Host Name - I just put Tyler (my name)

So after I typed all those things in, I ran the Internet connection sharring thing, and it tried installing everything, but afterwards gives me the error: "Problems installing package caching-nameserver.

I'm really not the most experienced with networking, so perhaps you can help me out, and maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong. Sorry to take up your time..."

as you can see, I unfortunetely have to share internet with an xp box...

He directed me here and told me maybe you guys could help me out. I'm not really knowledgable on all the networking software like Samba and others, so if there is an easier way to gain ICS through a different software please let me know. Thanks alot in advance.

Edited by tylersrevenge

ICS is you want to share a internet connection through your box (what the xp machine is doing now) so you don't need it.

LAN is good. Try 'assign host name from DHCP adress'. Don't fill in the zeroconf field, you won't need it..

If that doesn't work you need to set up the connection by hand. Get all the information you need to fill in the fields.

Good luck