linux newbie..what do i have to update?

spunky424

just converted to mandrakelinux 10.0 and i'm getting use to how everythign runs.i just installed my nvidia driver wondering if there are any OS updates that i should download..and if so how do i do it and where to get them? i basically jsu loaded the OS instaleld gaim, and my nvidia driver and a couple of OS games..anything else i should look for?

welcome aboard :D

go to Easyurpmi and follow its instructions. it will let you set up some mirrors with security updates, bugfixes etc... and some special things (like themes, mozilla-firefox,..).

which one you "should" download depends on your sys-xonfig, but most of the time, a "urpmi --auto-select" in the console as root will do the job.

:)

Edited by arctic

You should always do security updates. Bug fixes and normal updates are a little troublesome. In fact, I recommend only using security updates, and allowing the otheres to be around a week or two before installing them. Mandrake is a little bleeding edge, and stuff can temporarily break sometimes.

Go ahead and use the updater in MCC (Mandrake Control Center) Learn how to use urpmi later. Most of us linux types learn the command line, urpmi, because it is qucker. MCC uses urpmi as a backend.

If you configured your source (that what you were doing on the websight) for just security, and then other ones for updates, you can stipulate what to do, just like Mandrake control center. Otherwise, that command updates every available changed file on the ftp server you told it to look at.

My current 10.1 CE is an upgrade from 10.1 rc1, and I did it exactly as you are describing. There is no difference, except that when you install other stuff, you will ahve to be on line for the depends to correctly install as well. I'm getting the 10.1 cd's right now, so that I have them in case of an emergency. I play, I break! :lol:

some stuff may break going from 10.0 to 10.1 via urpmi; kdmrc needs to be replaced with kdmrc.rpmnew and you may need to remove the devfs=mount section from your lilo.conf. those are the two biggues.

technically, rpmdrake does not use urpmi as a backend. rpmdrake never invokes an urpmi command. They are both interfaces to the perl-URPM backend and share common database and configuration files.

to answer one of spunky's questions: running the steps at easyurpmi will define the new sources and update the list of packages they contain, but it *won't* actually download and update any packages. After doing the easyurpmi steps you need to either do "urpmi --auto-select" from the command line, or use the graphical tool's "all upgradeable packages" filter (well, it's called something like that, don't remember precisely). urpmi --auto-select will update all packages for which an update is available. The graphical tool has a view which shows all the packages for which updates are available and you can then pick which to update.

some stuff may break going from 10.0 to 10.1 via urpmi; kdmrc needs  to be replaced with kdmrc.rpmnew and you may need to remove the devfs=mount section from your lilo.conf. those are the two biggues.

how do i fix those issues? sorry i'm really a newb and jus getting the hang of all this linux stuff..thanks alot