Is it worth the manual??

Guest cochise

I'm new to Linux and I'm considering buying the web retail version of the Mandrake Community 10.0. Does this include a manual? Is it a good manual? This is the reason I'm thinking about buying it.

I've looked at several linux reference books but can't seem to find a good one. I've looked at "Redhat Fedora Core 2 Unleashed", "Redhat Linux 9 Bible" "Redhat Fedora Linux Unleashed". They're just a mosh-pit of info but it's just not put together very well.

So, has anyone bought the web retail version of community or discovery and were you happy with it? Is it worth it?

and/or recommend me some good linux books. I'm a linux noob but I'm no computer noob. I found a great book on Apache 2.0, I need a good linux book. :jester:

Thanks!

I am not sure if the Mandrake printed manual is worth it. You can see the pdf of the manual even in the download edition.

Anyway, finding a good book for linux is hard since it depends on your taste in writing. The unleashed series book is not that great of series imo. Now, I haven't read RedHat Linux 9 Bible yet, but I have read other books in the Bible series and I found the series to be pretty good.

Anyway, I heard that the Definitive Guide to using Linux Mandrake is a good book to teach about Mandrake Linux in particular, but that book is too expensive for my taste, so I haven't read it.

My advice is just to bug a person knowledgable in Linux to teach you to use Linux :)

Purchasing any distro is a good idea if you want to support the company. The last Mandrake distro I purchased was 8.1. I imagine that the manual has changed quite a bit since then, but it is a good manual. Granted, you can find the information it contains elsewhere on the net, but usually not in one convenient location (except this forum :P, but even then, you can't take this forum with you everywhere you go).

From a newbie standpoint, it is a good thing to have. It really does help you through a lot of the basic things that every Linux user, reguardless of the distro, should know.

Anyway, I heard that the Definitive Guide to using Linux Mandrake is a good book to teach about Mandrake Linux in particular, but that book is too expensive for my taste, so I haven't read it.

I agree, i think this book is far better than the manual (I havent got any of them though).

If you are a mandrakeclub member you can save 50 % ordering it via mandrakestore.com:

Mandrakelinux

The definitive Guide - 10.0

Mandrakeclub members save 50%!

[MP1-10] USD-44.90

Mandrakelinux 10.0 - The Definitive Guide

This complete guide will introduce you to, or improve your expertise in Mandrakelinux 10.0. It will guide you through your entire Linux experience and will help you make the best use of your favorite distribution.

From the initial simple installation to the most sophisticated fine tuning, everything is in this reference guide, which covers, among others, the following topics:

- Installation of a Mandrakelinux 10.0

- Discover the graphic interface

- Use of the Internet

- Office under Linux

- Multimedia applications

- Configuration tools - Advanced administration - Compiling new kernels

I bought the 9.2 powerpack which is supported by the definitive guide. Its reasonable, but I think the definitive guide is much better. And as mentioned, the books can now be bought at half price.

Consider the "Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours" published by Sams. The copy I have (3rd edition) even comes with a Mandrake CD at the back - never used it. I bought the book from one of those cheap bookshops selling older/out of print editions (even though the same edition was still being sold in major bookshops a couple months ago at 3 times the price) - it teaches you the basics and is easily digestible. Getting the time to sit down and go throughh it properly is my problem. However, the joy is - you get the linux essentuials, and its Mandrake orientated - granted Mandrake has developed since then, but you get the gist.