Torrent Problems

dickohead

Hey guys, i've been reading a few posts on torrents and linux from all over the web, and it seems that i need to open some of the ports the torrent program (Azureus.. .spelling?) uses. the only problem is, i am connected through a Linksys router/switch, and am not sure which ports to forward to my machine.

I am trying to download the mandrake 10.1 RC1 via a torrent file, but it does not download any... is this because there is no one online with the file (which i thought highly unlikely), or because my the ports are not being formwarded to my machine and thus blocked by the router, stopping the torrent program from downloading anything......

On another note - i am using TorrentStorm in windows perfectly, on the same machine...

any ideas?

The ports are 6881 to 6899 (or 6999 can't remember and since you're unlikely ever to have more than a few torrents open it doesn't matter (they go 6881, 6882 etc etc).

On another note: I doubt your router is the problem. If it connects in Windows it should connect in Linux. Have a look at your firewall setting in Linux (not in your router)

Good luck

i don't use the firewall in linux, but i remembered my router has a firewall, so i allowed anonymous NAT requests and forwarded ports 6881 through to 6889 to my machine and now it is working :D thank you very much!