HD Is too corrupted for me.

Guest ThePro

Well, you can also try the last solution. Make a clean sweep (format your entire hd). Don't forget to backup all your important stuff. After this install your WinXP. Don't use NTFS partitions because they cause more trouble. Use Partition Magic to make the partitions arctic suggested. Then go and install Mandrake Linux ;)

If it really does format everything, is it possible to install Windows after Mandrake?

Yes you can. I installed WinXP + SP2 after MDK Linux. The only thing I had to do was reinstall the bootloader. You can do that with your installation CD1 for example. Boot it, press F1, type rescue and then choose reinstall bootloader (if I remember right).

Certain hardware can cause the install to lock up. Try this. Boot off the install cd-1 and as soon as you see the first screen hit the F1 key which will take you to a boot prompt. At the prompt type:

linux noapic nolapic

and hit the Enter key. See if the install goes. If not try typing:

linux noapic nolapic nodma

These are common "cheat codes" used to get around some problematic hardware issues.

Another thing to check. Go into your bios setup and make sure plug 'n play is disabled. That can sometimes cause problems. Also, if you have any USB devices attached, try disconnecting them if you can. Also, do you have an ide zip drive in your system; these frequently cause lockups.

My guess is that PM messed up the partition table and the linux installer had trouble with that.

You can take screenshots during installation by hitting F2, but you only get those in the end if you finish the installation, in /root/Drak-Xscreenshots or so.

I'd recomment, if you can back up your data, to wipe the drive, installl mandy and create a fat32 primary partition for win, make a bootfloppy during install for mandy and then install windows. After that you can always put the bootloader in the mbr, just be sure to have a bootfloppy if you first installl lin then win, or use the rescue mode of the first installation cd...