NVidia drivers, 2.6.3-4mdk kernel, black screen

Guest pothead

I'm having problems starting x with nvidia drivers : if i use the default nv driver everything works fine but if i try to use the nvidia one I get completly locked up with a black screen and have to reboot the hard way :(. The worst thing is that i get no error messages from XF86 log file (logverbose 5, attached) :help:

Geforce FX 5200

Kernel 2.6.3-4mdk

thanks for any help! :)

XFree86.0.log.txt

did you follow the proper install method to install the drivers? (exit X, edit XF86Config-4/xorg.conf, etc?). do you have the matching kernel source to your kernel? in terminal as root do urpmi kernel-source-2.6.3-4 (hit enter). have a look HERE at my post #3 for Nvidia install method. there's a few things out of date there, but it will still work. some of those things are........

if you can get to a GUI, there's no need to boot into "failsafe" mode. just open a terminal as root & type init 3 (hit enter). that will kill X & dump you at command prompt.

since a lot of people are now using xorg, if you are substitute xorg.conf for XF86Config-4 for editing purposes.

some people are having trouble with the newest Nvidia driver (the .6111 drivers) & the 2.6 kernel. if you do, first run the Nvidia script like this...... sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel. that will build a custom Nvidia installer for your kernel in the same directory. then run the custom installer like thus....... sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1-custom.run.

if none of that works, please post the contents of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/xorg.conf here.

also, please note, you're uing an old MDK kernel. the latest is 2.6.3-16. along that line, if you get Nvidia drivers installed, whenever you update a kernel & you must also update to the matching kernel-source & reinstall the Nvidia drivers. same goes for an XF86 or xorg upgrade.

Chris

I already installed the driver and i had no problems with that... and i think it is being loaded

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.5336
Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.5336
Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA XFree86 Driver  1.0-5336  Wed Jan 14 18:30:46 PST 2004
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 03:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset NVIDIA GPU found
(II) resource ranges after xf86ClaimFixedResources() call:
[0] -1	0	0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) MX[B](B)

and also if i do a lsmod

[root@192 pothead]# lsmod | grep nv
nvidia               4812076  0

but then simply hangs up on me...

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 0.1.0
ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD8000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xE1000000

If I boot with the nv generic driver there is no problem... but i wanted opengl :)

attaching my XF86Config...

XF86Config_4.txt

or..........

have you tried adding any of the "NvAGP" "number" options in the "device" section of your XF86Config-4 file. see my above Nvidia install link towards the bottom. available options are 0,1,2,3. try option 3 first........

Option "NvAGP" "3"

Chris

Edited by chris z

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1024 768
Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Try adding modes under the screen section.

Still the same. I also tried some other things from that site...But it is still the same :(

It always jamms on the same line (log)

(--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD8000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xE1000000

new config file attached... :deal:

XF86Config_4.txt

Interesting problem this is :)

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.

(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"

(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

(II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"

compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 0.1.0

ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6

From your log. How many monitors do you have attached? Why should it be screen 0 when you have only screen1?

Try option connected monitor dfp (if you have an lcd monitor(HP F1703 Flat Panel Monitor)).

Good luck.

Just recently I was showing a friend how easy it was to install an nvidia driver and then making the appropriate file edits using Vi as outlined in the install procedure.

I rebooted and came up to a command line log in. Did the usual account name then password then KDE but it would not open the GUI. Tried a number of times but still no luck.

Gave it away for a while and came back later. Sat calmly then decided to try the startx approach instead of kde. Got an error message each time I tried the startx call.

Now this time I decided to actually read the entire error message and see if it would make any sense to me. (most error messages are so cryptic that I cannot make head nor tail of them)

Reading this one however, told me that line number <whatever> was incorrect there was no command with such a word as <something> and looking at the word I could see that it was missing a last letter for the word that would make sense. So I opened vi again and followed the process to edit the appropriate line in XF86Config-4 and added the missing letter. Saved and rebooted but came back to the command line again. Tried startx again and got a slightly different message this time implying a line No. such and such was not complete. Opened vi again and looked at that particular line and saw that a word on the line had inverted commas in front of the word but not at the end of the word as per similar words were setup. Edited the word by putting Inverted commas at the end of the word. saved and rebooted again.

Result, booted straight into the normal GUI login without a stop.

What had happened was that while doing my demo for my friend, I had some how accidently deleted those two little things.

Now I did this on a system which was working perfectly and had not intended to change anything while doing the demo, so how much easier would it be to make an error when you are actually doing a necessary edit during a driver install.

If you have trouble booting into a GUI login then My tip is to type in startx after entering your root password and carefully read the resultant error message because it will tell you what the problem is and most likely where it is. Fix that problem and then try again as each problem comes to light. In my XF86, I had two errors but the system halts on the first fault it finds but there may be more so you deal with each one in turn.

Cheers. JOHN.