Menu under KDE

papaschtroumpf

OK, this is what really annoys me about the different ways of installing software in Mandrake:

I installed gtk-gnutella 0.93 but can't remember how, probably an rpm but maybe some other way.

Today I install version 0.94 with from mandrakeclub.nl

--> I now have 2 entries in my menu, one for gtk-gnutella, one for Gtk-gnutella

I installed bittorrent doing urpmi bittorrent, but then I couldn't download some files because the version urpmi had installed wa outdated, so I installed another more up to date version from somewhere (I think it was rpm but not certain)

--> I now have an entry in my menu called "File transfer" with an icon and a number of apps under it. I also have a menu entry called "File Transfer" with an icon that looks like a folder had has bittorent entries in it.

Fine, I guess there is no consistency in spelling between people building the rpms, so I figured I'd change the menus myself.

First of all it looks like you can't just drag and drop menu items arounf the menu, that would be too convenient!

So I fire up the MDC, select menus, and I'm asked which menu system or root I want to edit. What the heck is the difference? I can't seem to see any difference.

Oh, did I mention that Gtk-gnutella entry doesn't seem to be in either?

So I move the bittorrent entries to the File transfer entry (at least drag and drop appears to be working form inside the menu editor), save, exit....

.... and the menu hasn't changed. So I need to log out of KDE to make the changes happen? I don't want to, I'm downloading something at the moment.

Is this a root vs system menu issue?

Can someone point me to a good tutorial of menus under msk 10 / KDE? (it seems that it's not the same as saying "menus under KDE" because somewhere it warned me htat maybe I wouldn't be able to find all my apps in the menu if I changed it to KDE style).

Linux has a way to go still if it want to make it as a user friendly desktop environment.

difference between root and system-menu:

system menu is the default menu, generated on the index of apps you have installed. root-menu can be modified specifically for e.g. server purposes and then quickly applied to all users (let's say, your user shall not have e.g. "games" on his desktop, so, you change the menu, erasing the game entry and apply it for several users).

yes, the spelling stuff is annoying and mandrake should improve the menu structure... but that is another topic in this board. ;)

I also find out that if you right click on the mandrake "star" it gives you an option to edit this menu, but it doesn't require you to log in as root like accessing menudrake does, does that mean that there is a 3rd level of menu?

EDIT: no that it solves my probelm, I edited the menu, saved it (it told me it was updating), but the unwanted entries are still there!

but it doesn't require you to log in as root like accessing menudrake does

somehow i never need to login as root (enter root pw) in order to change my menu...

i think: my comp loves me, yours is hating you :P

i think: my comp loves me, yours is hating you :P

Any idea? anyone?

editing the "system menu" in menudrake (as root) or editing the menu by right clicking on the star to open the menu editor (as a user) doesnt' work: the menu entries I deleted in the menu editor are still in the menus, even after I click "Save" and exit the editor.

There are also entries that I see in the menu editor butnot in the menu, like under "remote access" I have "Remote DEsktop Connection" and "TighVNC" but in the menu editor I also see a "desktop sharing" entry.

What is going on? Is there a way to "rebuild" the menus?

Edited by papaschtroumpf

I never could get the mandrake menu to do what I wanted and the first thing I do after install is to turn them off and use the native menu's like the KDE menu.

Mdk hack em up so i think when you right clicked to edit you were editing the default menu in KDE not the MDK kludge on top of it.

Somewhere in the menudrake is an option to use native menu's

see a thread on here with anna and aussiejohn