Where are the mirrors?

phunni

I recently installed 9.0 on an older machine (P133, 32Mb RAM) using CDs, but now it seems like my CD drive is busted. I still need to install a few apps - but I can't use the CDs. I figured I could just find an ftp mirror with all the mandrake packages (more than just CD1 I hope) and add that as a urpmi source. Trouble is - I can't find any mirrors.

I went to the Mandrake download site and found a suitable mirror, but I couldn't figure out how to add it as a source - didn't seem like this was what it was meant for...

Try something like this:

urpmi.addmedia --update ftp_france ftp://ftp.lip6.fr:/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/current/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

see man urpmi.addmedia for further info

and ofcourse edit your system crontab with something like this:

30 3 * * mon /usr/sbin/urpmi.update ftp_france

...to update the sources (which is useful if instead of the CURRENT distro you add the COOKER source of rpm packages)

thanks - got it sorted. One question out of interest though

Once I had added the source - I went to install samba on my machine. For some reason ther ewere 3 different samba-server packages that I could haev installed - two with the same version!

Why would this be?

I'm not sure (as I dont use urpmi), but it could be due because you didn't call urpmi with the update option, so instead of using the 'update' sources your urpmi was looking for all the available sources... again I'm not sure of this.

I guess that you should do

urpmi --update package

even if "package" is not previously installed

I have totally abandoned this way of updating in favour of direct download from the mirrors. The one I use is http://ftp.sunet.se in Sweden which is ususally quite fast, even when the Swedes are awake. The advantage is that you can save the updates or upgrades in your home directory so if you are forced to reinstall you do not need to repeat the process over again. You can chose from mirrors anywhere in the world that give you the fastest transfers.

Counterspy

I have totally abandoned this way of updating in favour of direct download from the mirrors

I never started :twisted:

I just tried a couple of times and I disliked it a lot!

The one I use is http://ftp.sunet.se in Sweden which is ususally quite fast, even when the Swedes are awake.  The advantage is that you can save the updates or upgrades in your home directory so if you are forced to reinstall you do not need to repeat the process over again.  You can chose from mirrors anywhere in the world that give you the fastest transfers. 

Counterspy

Yes, that's one of the reasons. Others are (IMHO) versatility, speed (around 10 fold faster), and more control in what you are doing. (also making a couple of scripts to help you on that task isn't harder)

Since upgrading to 9.0 from 8.2 - I've found rpmdrake to be a much weaker product.  I certainly don't know how to find out the source in the newest version

i think if you right click on the description window, you can select to have a more detailed description and it'll show the source, changelog, etc