libgcc wanted

payasam

When I tried to install software I couldn't because there was no C compiler. When I tried to install gcc it complained that there was no gcc3.3-cpp. Now it's moaning about libgcc 3.3.4-1mdk, apparently a tiny file but one which I cannot find anywhere. Will appreciate being shown pug marks.

I haven't actually done much with urpmi, having only just become aware of it. No sources set up, though I do have a note of urpmi.org/easyurpmi. No idea if the thing is on the CDs. I'm a bit mixed up about the CDs: I got three but I've seen mention of there being four.

Albert E. Neumann was my hero in the 1960s and he was no frog.

Mandrakes comes with gcc, don't worry. If you check during install 'development' it will be installed. ( http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/DrakX-s...e-zurich/14.png ) Or you can install it later with urpmi.

About the CDs: the 4th CD is the 'contrib' CD; that is: just some extra packages that you can find in Contrib. Just remove the media (that is: Mandrake jargon for a repository) CD4 and add 'contrib'.

Good luck

Edited by devries

I can't recall what I did during install, Devries. Maybe I thought "development" was for software writers and didn't tick it. But here are my adventures so far.

1. Ran gcc3.3-3.3.4-1mdk.i586.rpm -- response

>> libgcc >= 3.3.4-1mdk needed

>> gcc3.3-cpp-3.3.4-1mdk needed

2. Ran gcc3.3-cpp-3.3.4-1mdk.i586.rpm

>> no trouble

3. Ran libgcc1-3.4.1-3mdk.i586.rpm -- response

>> file /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 from install of libgcc1-3.4.1-3mdk conflicts with file from package libgcc1-3.3.3-6mdk

One option seems to be that a file is to be removed, and the other is that I must download yet another version of libgcc.

Certain tar.gz packages complain, when I do a ./configure on them, that there is no acceptable C compiler in the path.

You should run (as root): urpmi gcc

Urpmi is your friend :)

And if you get errors post them here. Urpmi is a tool that helps you install software. It has a database (sort off) and so it knows what packages it needs to install when you give the command 'urpmi gcc' and where to find them (on CDs, in internet repositories (after you have set it up), floppies, HDs etc etc).

Try it and be amazed by the powers of URPMI. :D