SOLVED: ssh and X11 Forwarding problem

Steve Scrimpshire

Using Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community) for i586 on both my laptop and desktop. Now, when I try to ssh to my desktop I get this error after a long, long wait while trying to log in:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/omar/.Xauthority

su'ing to root is then very, very slow, though I don't get the error.

I can run absolutely no X apps, getting an authentication error. Now, I'm not quite sure which computer's .Xauthority file is the problem, but I've tried deleting them both and letting X recreate them. I've done xhost +192.168.1.15 on my laptop (that's my desktop's ip) and xhost +192.168.1.1 on my desktop. Still getting the same error. I've googled and nothing seems to work for me or does not apply.

ssh from the desktop to the laptop works fine. Any ideas?

If I ssh -x 192.168.1.15 from laptop, logging in and su'ing are both quick.

It was working until I added my new SATA drive and cp'ed everything over (preserving file attributes) and set up my Linux to be rooted there. Maybe a coincidence.

Solution: Not a coincidence. Turns out all the files inside /home/omar still had ownership of omar, but not /home/omar itself. I just did chown -R omar:omar /home/omar and all is well.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire