adsl

Guest frazzle

i just got broadband and i am trying to get it to work on linux (im using mandrake 9.2).

im using a spped touch modem.

i go to control center > internet etc..

and go to wizard. it recognises my modem and its all fine there. it then asks me for the infomation to connect, (this is one of the bits im not sure about becuase im new to this) it asks me for login id, password whcih is ok but it says ' providers name (ex provider.net) ' im not sure what to put in this field. what would this filed be equivilant to in windows? im using bt broadband if thats any help

thanks.

i hope to be running linux soon :P

Edited by frazzle

What sort of speedtouch? USB? 330?

Anyway I'm not using Mandrake at the moment but the connection process is fairly simple. Not so simple if you haven't done it before.

I don't thing you need to put anything specific into that field just a name for the connection.

BT will do.

You can enter a couple of ip (nameserver) numbers too if I remember correctly.

Phone and ask BT for them - you shouldn't actually need them.

I'm using these: BT nameservers.

Username is the full thing user@hgxx.btinternet.com

Password: uknowthisnotme

VCI 0

VPI 38

Do you have the mgmt.o file copied to the appropriate folder? I'm not sure what it is anymore! Used to be /usr/share/speedtouch/

I use an old USB Speedtouch which was easily connected using my Debian install. Setup in Mandrake was even simpler.

It does take a few minutes and used to tell you you weren't connected and couldn't connect and then you would be.

I'll be away for a couple of weeks mail me at wcopelan@ie.ibm.com if your stuck and I'll try to be of help. My time is limited at the moment though - Patience! You will get it working.