DVD ripping software

a13x

I use Acidrip for the basic ripping,

its as simple as stick in a DVD, select the main track and rip/encode.

It can be configured more but usually does a passable job ....

dvd::Rip and some others are more advanced but I could never be bothered to get my head round the different algorithms etc. and they more or less force some choices... whereas the defaults from acidrip work ....

if you get it from plf via urpmi then it will get transcode, mencoder et al as well ..

on OS someone else will have to answer.... except Linux can rip anything regardless of region etc.

win xp is way better. for dvd ripping + encoding

more programs

more support

user friendly

its just way better for dvd ripping at the moment any way

if you read my response I don't comment on windows becuase I dont use it. Mainly because it doesnt have as many programs or support as linux and isnt as user friendly...

So I take it you have tried all the different options on linux already?

IMHO dvdrip (Video-dvdrip, aka dvd::rip) beats anything else.

Like acidrip it uses transcode as backend/engine. Loads of options, true, but with the webguide http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/index.cipp it's not hard to figure out.

It supports distributed encoding, so if you have more than one machines, you can reduce the encoding time nicely.

Ah well...

I installed it but everytime I need to do somethnig in a hurry I end up just using the familiar one....

Its just one button press and it saves me reading the manuals which i know is lazy but Im sure just from looking at dvd::rip that you have much more control and end up with better copies...

from things Ive downloaded I have to say the quality of even the defaults basic acidrip is as good or better than most of the stuff I might have dloaded which has been ripped in WinBlows..

I havent tried ripping the same thing but the file size vs quality I get seems better than I dload... I usually get a single 700MB CD from a full movie and have much better than VCD quality - often not far from DVD whereas a lot of dloads seem to suffer in quality???

OK. I'm kinda new at DVD ripping so I'm going to try something easy. My first dvd ripping didn't go so well because I compressed the movie too much (1CD) and the quality was poor. I had to rip it again. The second time I got it right: excellent quality and acceptable size: 2CDs.

This is all my ripping experience ... in Windows unfortunately. I used SmartRipper + Vidomi.

So now I think I'll start doing it in Linux ... with acidripp since it seems easier to use.

THX for your help.

If yopu install acidrip you can also do the DVD::RIP because they share all the codecs etc. one just gives a bit more control and complexity...but in reality both are just interfaces....

Im just lazy and never get round to using it ... but Im sure if you want quality its the way to go.

Incidentally I started off being clever doing 2-3 CD's per movie.(since Id seen a difference in quality on downloads of 1CD vs 2 CD movies ) .. then made a single on by mistake and found it seems *almost* as good :D