problems after installation

Guest mechjag

I just installed mandrake linux 10.0 and it installed all right. It rebooted and failed at the "bringing up interface eth0". Then it just reboots and locks up. Please help, this is the first time using linux.

Do your reinstall and DO NOT set up the network during install.

This way you may be able to get Mandrake up and running. When it is running you can use the tools in MCC to attempt to setup your internet connection correctly

Then we can go from there.

Cheers. John.

I'm using MDK9.2 and on one of my boxes when I first installed it I too faced problems after trying to get it to boot to the GUI. No matter how many times I did a clean install, it would 'always' hang during the reboot. After 2 weeks and countless installs, and always the same problem of not being able to boot into GUI/hanging during boot up, I did a BIOS upgrade - once this was done, hey presto, MDK fully installed and properly booted up.

Now I'm not suggesting this line of approach just yet, but you might want to consider it.

Maybe if you can list your hardware and mobo it might offer some clues.

Also, try disconnecting everything and then reconnect it all, I once had a problem cos I installed a memory stick I'd salvaged. Took it back out and problem solved.

Hang in there and post back.

I am running a dell optiplex GX110 PIII 600 mhz with 256 mb ram, and a 10 gb hard drive. The motherboard is the stock optiplex motherboard for the tower case.

I have managed to get it to boot up, but if I restart, it locks up again with the same problem

I know how frustrating this must feel - it took me a good couple of weeks to get an install - and then even longer to access the WWW cos my modem was pants!

Unfortunately I'm only a noob myself and not really up on the teccy stuff, so can only offer some basic assistance. I've had a look around the boards and pulled out these potential areas to look at further:

First of all have a look at the 'How To' in this BB - its very good and might offer some suggestions to the problem.

Could it be a bootloader issue? Have you got the documentation with your bought CDs? if not, try looking herefor bootloader/other problems.

What partitions did you set on your installation?

You could also try installing disc 1 and type rescue to see if that can undo any install problems.

Is your HDD jumper set to master?

Post back any error messages exactly as they are on screen.

You could try Suse, but if mdk10 doesn't install, consider an earlier version (mdk10CE/9.2/9.1) if these don't install, It may well be your mobo needs that upgrade I talked about earlier.

Sorry if this comes over vague and not to the point in order to get your set up going.

Edited by ChrisM

I agree with chrisM.

I do not know how you think that trying another Linux OS might solve things for you. It has been my experience (and loads of others) that if Mandrake cannot be setup then nothing else will either.

You have this idea because you think Mandrake is the cause of the problem and I think I can positively say Mandrake is NOT the problem. I still believe it is your hardware.

You need to try swapping memory, even your mainboard from another computer if possible.

Also , in your bios have you set your hard drives to LBA instead of auto ???

in your bios have you set Plug & Play to disable instead of enabled ???

These two items cause more troubles than you can poke a stick at and should be set BEFORE doing any Linux install, not just Mandrake.

Cheers. John.

Guest drakeeula
I do not know how you think that trying another Linux OS might solve things for you. It has been my experience (and loads of others) that if Mandrake cannot be setup then nothing else will either.

Oh yeah....i agree 100 per centum ! If Mandrake fails to install, you can forget the other distros ! It's definitely one of the easiest distros out there. I have personally tried a few other distros and i am sticking with Mandrake !

...........unless, of course, if you are not a newbie like me.

Please follow the advice given here, they are good ppl and they hv lotsa experience....i would agree that it could be your mobo that's giving the problem or it could be your RAM.

hey mechjag, its not ignorance, we all start off not knowing things, and hopefully end up learning a few things, and then its cool to help out if we can. For example, I had no idea about LBA on the hard drive, but i've done a little googling.

Take a look at these:

this

this

and this

Which should hopefully be of some help.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

I tried Suse linux and it installed just fine and can even see the windows network I am on. I am going to try mandrake again and try to make it work.

The whole thing is a really a test for my company to see if a machine running linux can run AutoCad 2002 and open and edit drawings in a timely fashion. I need a stable autocad to run in linux and access a windows network domain.