New Linux Install

rockybalboa

Since installing MDK 10 OE (my first 'nix system), I have had numerous problems and I am just getting around to trying to finding answers. Sorry, but most of these are in comparison to my XP partition.

1) It seems to me that the whole OS runs pretty slow, however intensive things still run OK (ie. music, mpegs)

2) I continually have file browser crashes no matter if I use Konqueror, Nautilus, or various others. I'll get about 2-3 minutes into browsing almost any directory and suddenly the whole thing will crash to the desktop.

3) I have tried regular Mozilla, Firefox (personal favorite from Winblows) and Opera, and have the same crash problem as above. However, this happens at random, sometimes 2 minutes sometimes 30-40.

4) Occasionally when I start up the desktop will hang while loading, requiring me to restart the machine. I'm using KDE, but I have duped it with Gnome also.

I'm running this all through an Athlon Tbird on an Abit KT7A board, nothing else spectacular about the hardware, standard 3 year old Winblows gaming machine.

After all this I'm curious about the benefits of MDK 10.1 how could (should?) I save what I have previously installed.

When I set this up I was a total Linux virgin, I followed the instructions meticulously, but could I have missed something in the install?

I'm open to any suggestions right now. I love it when it works, but it's not been very reliable.

Thanks

Dan

P.S. I need to add that I am expecting this to eventually replace my Win system, but I'm a student and can't afford the risk of losing data.

Edited by rockybalboa

I dunno if this would help, but I had the same problem when I tried to install 10.0 on my desktop. After reading bunch of forums, other people seemed to have the same problem and they recommended that I install 9.2, which I did. It runs great on my box now...just a thought. I am also a student and trying hard to get away from windows.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy there,

I'm just trolling for more opinions/suggestions. My MDK install has been sitting for a week now. It (the file browser) crashed while I was moving a vital paper, so now Tux will stand in the corner until I find a way to clean his mess. I'm still hoping to get a more solid OS going out of this. Also, is KDE 3.3 a good upgrade over 3.2?

Thanks

Dan

The latest KDE is still unstable so I would wait...

Are you using OE or CE (CE is the more bleeding edge)..perhaps given the importance OE might be better...

It seems really bizarre and one of those irritating things which will doubtless drive you mad... (hopefully you didnt loose data) so depending how much work you have done after install you might think about a reinstall?

This is a bit defeatist but... now you have done the install once you might spot something weird you did first time...

If you want to persist you will probably learn lots and be sure everyone here will help :D its just a matter of which is more important to you ... quick fix or lots of questions!

Hey to All,

Been running v10.0 Ofifcial for a couple of months now. Just a couple of observations:

Video can be dificult to get to the full speed of the adapter. Slow video will take the speedy windows system to sluggish operation. I had major unresolvable (for a Linux NoOb anyway) issues with ATI getting it to 3D mode. Switched to the nVidia 6800 128 card, had minor issues that were easily overcome in a couple of hours. 3D now runs, and the system is wickedly fast!

Hardware can make you or break you just like under windows. Most of my issues were with the video, but with a nVidia NForce 3 board, I do have some unresolved errors that don't seem to actually effect operation. LAN reports errors on shutdown, but still is fully functional.

There is a compatibility page on the Mandrake site:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3

Other great sites for help

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/portal.php

http://www.linuxhelp.net/forums/

http://www.linux.org/

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

HTH!

simple question: did all this happen after you guys have added the latest patches to your system? many bugs were ironed out lately. go to easyurpmi, follow the instructions and update your box. maybe that is all you ahve to do.