Problems with gnome+network

xon

hi there,

this is my first post here and i hope ill find some answers.

[its my first time using mandrake]

First about hostname:

i installed mandrake 10 and when it asked me for hostnames blahblah i put in all fields "supermario" (lol). After i finished the installation when the gnome started up it said that it could connect and that adding `supermario` to /etc/hosts maybe it was the solution. I did that and reboot again and same thing happened.

Second about networking:

with /sbin/ifconfig i saw that my eth0 inet_addr was somethin like H45:B34:blahblah.. (not the hardware MAC addr,i meant the inet_addr) it looked like ipV6 ip.. anyway i opened the configuration tool and in eth0 configuration i saw that it had the well-known 192.168.0.1 addr. I have a second b0x in my house with win98 and i want to share files between them (i ve never connect a *nix box with a win box) and i knew from connecting 2 win b0xes together they needed to have the same workgroup name. (supermario is my workgroup or what?)

btw i didnt find any mp3 player like wine for example..

all above turn me a bit :devil: but i hope i ll fix all these probs.

Go to: System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Install software and install Gnome System Tools. After this go to: System -> Configuration -> Networking -> Networking. There you can setup your hostname, domain name, windows networking, dns connections etc. It is very easy to use. Make sure you have Samba client and server installed in order to share files between Win98 and MDK Linux. Remember, both machines must be on the same workgroup.

About the mp3 player, I suggest your install XMMS (it's the best IMO).

Edited by a13x

gnome system tools? u mean all the gnome-* packages? i tried that but it needs the 4th cdrom :| i cant get to internet still with mandrake for using easyurpmi.. so dunno what to do:(

i have one USB Supramax modem (mandrake doesnt detects it) and one Zoom internal 56k (doesnt see it either!@#!#) ? (i ll post it in hardware section too but it was the answer for the easyurpmi :D

Your modem is porbably a WinModem and that's why it isn't detected. Did your USB cable modem come with a CD ? Check it ! Because I also have a cable modem that has drivers and instructions on how to install it on various OSs, including Linux.

About Gnome System Tools ... no you don't need all the gnome-* packages. There is one called gnome-system-tools or something very simillar. In case of emergency you can use Windauz to get help or download some required packages.

Go to rpm.pbone.net and search for the gnome-system-tools rpm. Download it, and install it.

Linux is a pretty hardened OS but as root you can kill it very easy if you don't know what you're doing. It happened to me once in MDK 9.2. I gave up on it back then; all because of lack of help and nasty problems. Now after finding MUSB (which is a great place to get help) I managed to fix a lot of my problems.

i re-install it from the start and i put kde for the default X (heh) bvc i did it before reading this replies so i put again "supermario" hostname ahahah (im MarioLands fan :D) but kde worked fine.. i ll try gnome again to see if the same errno msg will be printed.

Another new measure was that i tried to compile a .c code with -static flag and it didnt find a lib*blahblah.. i ve put the development tools all.. and thats bad for mandrake cause -static flag is needed many times.

• 2 weeks later...
for whatever you're trying to compile - look at the name of the lib that it says is missing, and see if there's a similarly named -devel package you can install.

... or google for that lib file, google will fetch the name of the rpm package which contains that lib. Then check whether that package is installed (mcc or kpackage can be used for that).