Help...no sound with CD player

Guest bclaxton

Guest bclaxton

This seems really strange but I did manage to get it to work once. My sound works fine.....I can rip music, encode it to MP3 and play it, but I can't play a CD. I have tried adjusting the settings in AUMIX and KMIX, bit nothing seems to help. Is there something simple I am missing here?

Thanks,

Bruce

Guest bclaxton

Using KsCD player from the start menu, although it seems to be confusing. If I start it from Multimedia/sound, its called KsCD. But if I start it from What to do/enjoy musis/listem to a CD, its called "Listen To A CD". Both seem identical, just the different name on the title bar. Neither will give me any sound, even when I run the volume tab up to 100%. The CD iS playing, as I can see the time left. So then I open both AuMix and KMix, and try adjusting the tabs from there, in all kinds of combinations. My CD buttons are GREEN in both and the volume controls are up all the way. I did manage to get it to play once, but when I shut down and came back later the settings must have been lost, because I couldn't get sound any more. A Linux Guru from work told me to try playing an MP3 so I ripped and encoded a few songs and that works very well....sound is perfect! But this CD player is still dead .

Thanks Again......The Linux Newbee

Bruce

Guest Solar Bear

I happen to have the exact same problem. Sound is right - I'm using xmms to play my mp3 on my NTFS partition - but still, when I use Grip to play audio CDs, I don't hear anything. Post anything you guess could be wrong. Thanks.

Just because the audio cd works in Windows XP or other OS, doesn't mean it works in linux. Most linux cd players require the audio cd cable (the small thin cable) to be connected from the cdrom to the audio card. However, there is a way to play CD digitally (without the use of the audio cd cable). It used to be located at dolson's site, but since it seems to be down right now.. lemme just try to rebuild it from my own memory.

1. find and install the xmms-cdread rpm for mandrake version that you use. If it is not in the cd, just use http://www.rpmfind.net to find it.

2. Open xmms, go to preferences (ctrl - p) then pick the audio i/o folder.

3. Select the CD Audio Player (libcdaudio.so) and uncheck the enable plugin checkmark.

4. Select the AudioCDReader (libcdread.so) and check the enable plugin checkmark. Then press configure, the new window will come out and choose the output folder, then select the Read Digital CD Audio. Press ok to close the window and then press ok again to close the preferences window.

5. To play cd, go to the play list then select add url (hold on to the Add button to select the add url. A window will come out then enter this words

/dev/cdrom

press ok then if everything works out right, the cd listing will come out and you can play your cd digitally.

Hope it works.

Guest bclaxton

No luck with this route....when it got to the point where it asked me for my root password, it would NOT let me type anything....go figure!

So I went back and played with the settings in KMix again, remembering that I had gotten it to work one time before. It seems that the CD slider has absolutly NO effect on volume. You MUST have the volume and the line 1 green lights activated and the sliders to the top....Now it works!

Thanks for the help guys I opened AuMix and did a file save also. Will now reboot and see if it comes back the same way.

Bruce

So I went back and played with the settings in KMix again, remembering that I had gotten it to work one time before. It seems that the CD slider has absolutly NO effect on volume. You MUST have the volume and the line 1 green lights activated and the sliders to the top....Now it works!

Bruce

It may just mean that your CD audio cable is connected to some internal LINE-IN ( AUX or TAD, for example) of your card, instead of the CD-IN. As simple as that.