Weird Audio Issue

ShineDesign

Ok, so I thought it may be an issue with my ALSA, so I ran:

alsaconf

alsamixer

alsactl store

and now I get sound...but it's static. At first, right after running alsaconf I got a horrible high pitched sound, so I muted the Capture section of alsamixer and that fixed it. However, my audio for mp3/wma files still don't play...only static can be heard. What's going on here?

It's a mixer problem I think. Mute every channel in alsamixer (there is a gui version called alsamixergui (urpmi alsamixergui)) and open them one after an other while an mp3 is playing.

Don't use alsaconf (it's for setting up your soundcard. Mandrake should do that for you so use the MCC)

And don't use alsactl. :) It's a little application to change settings. Better use alsmamixer (or kmix in KDE)

Good luck

Ok, everything plays just fine from the system notifications screen, but when I'm actually using the various applications - no sound is played. Kopete for example, the sounds play just fine from the system notifications screen within KControl, but they don't play at all from within kopete's configuration screen. I've even run Kopete as root to see if it was a permission thing...nope.

Whats going on?

It seems there is something wrong with your system. From another post of yours I gathered you had trouble of booting into Linux. This nothing to worry about. When you start out in Linux you're sure to hose your system. Happened to me too.

Now go and install Linux again. During the installation it will ask wahat partitions to use. Choose existing partition and then only let it format your / (and not your /home). That way all your settings and data will be saved.

Good luck.

Yeah, as seen in my post about not being able to mount a drive in knoppix...my system is very hosed. I did as the readme instructions said (from the nvidia drivers) to fix an OpenGL problem, and my system won't boot into linux anymore. I'll re-install tomorrow when I get home from work...right now I need to get some sleep :) I'm just glad that the webserver I've implemented at my workplace isn't hosed! It's working great, just loaded the .mdb database today and everything is working like a charm. (mostly with the help of mandrakeusers.org!)

Thanks MDKusers.org!