F1 on install cd hangs computer [solved]

kenbo

I've had this problem since 9.0 (I'm using 10.0 CE now)

When I boot off CD1 and hit enter at the first screen everything works fine. I can install upgrade etc.

But If I hit F1 for other options the computer freezes. I can't even Cntl-Alt-Del. I have not been able to find this problem anywhere on the net (I love Google! :) )

Anyone heard of this before?

nope, not really. there can be many many causes for this "behavior" of your box.

in order to find the problem, we would need some info about your hardware. maybe it is a graphic-card problem, maybe a motherboard issue, maybe a software thing... who knows?

• 11 months later...

Now I really need to figure this out. I stopped using Linux altogether for awhile. Now I'm trying to install LE2005 and am getting IRQ errors during install ("disabling IRQ #17 / nobody cared!"). Which I believe I can solve with acpi=off. Only I still have the same f1 freezing problem.

My hardware has changed:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 MB

the same amd XP 2400+ proc

ATI X800XT

onboard nforce sound

1G ddr Mem

the same Samsung DVD-Rom

LG gsa-4163B DVD burner

As an experiment I've tried this with other distros and the same thing happens. (the f1 thing not the IRQ problem)

I've got gentoo running now but I want my Mandy back!

If anyone can help please let me know!

Thanks

First, unplug all usb devices and printers. Then try booting with the following parameters (at the boot-screen press "F1" for advanced options instead of "enter")

linux noapic nolapic

Oh... turn off your Plug'n'play in BIOS if it is activated. Maybe you need to disable dma from the command-line, too. Just test some options. And take a look at the other threads in the "installing Mandriva" forum. There is an enormous amount of helpful topics.

If everything breaks, try to install it without the graphical installer. (Text-mode install)

Are you using the same CD? Could be a bad download or burn. Only thing I can think of that would follow you to a new machine.

But you say you've tried other distros. Odd...very odd. have you tried both of your cd-roms drives? I noticed you said the dvd-rom was from the previous machine. other than that I can't think of anything.

Are you using the same CD? Could be a bad download or burn. Only thing I can think of that would follow you to a new machine.

But you say you've tried other distros. Odd...very odd. have you tried both of your cd-roms drives? I noticed you said the dvd-rom was from the previous machine. other than that I can't think of anything.

Yeah, It's super weird! since the only thing that's the same between the two systems is the proc and the one DVD-rom. I'm gonna try disconnecting the drive and try again. Could the proc have anything to do with it? (hope not!)

I got it!

When I went inside to unplug the DVD I realized that there was also a PCI controller card that was also in my old system. That was the culprit. I removed that and f1 works fine!

Arctic: the "linux noapic nolapic" did the trick for the install too.

Thank you both for your time!

:thanks:

A friend of mine had a problem with his AMD in his Laptop. It wouldn't start the vmlinuz from the mandrake CD. It did boot the vmlinuz from Suse, so he's using that now on his laptop.

He might be trying a newer version of Mandriva later on, at least, that's what he said at first, being a mandriva-user. But I think he's getting quite used to Suse now, but I'll try to get him back to our side... ;)

But seriously, I think it could have something to do with the proc, but I'm only speculating.

[edit] NVM, you've solved it already :P [/edit]

Edited by Smorgje