KDE Crash with PS

airdragon

I am having problems with KDE 3.2. in Mandrake 10.0 PowerPack edition. Everything is fine after the initial reboot, however when I shut it down and reboot again KDE stalled while loading at 85% and goes to a blank Blue Screen! Now I know Linux is trying to make things work similar to Windows but I think incorporating the Blue Screen of Death is a bit much.

Sometimes I can log into KDE under root and sometimes not. Usually I get to the console screen and try "startx" and get a message something like you don't have access or authority to "iceauthority" or something similar. I'll write it down next time but perhaps this is enough for those with more experience to figure out what I need to do.

Everything works fine as long as I don't shut the machine down.

And yes I do have a NVIDIA card if that helps.

Thanks Brad

PS here is exactly what happens. If I try to reboot it just goes to the Blue Screen after KDE stalls at 85%

If I hit Ctrl/Alt/F6 and go to the login prompt I get this:

Using authority file /home/username/.Xauthority

Writing authority file /home/username/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:

Server is already active for display 0

If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again.

(where and how do I fix this, remember though I've run Mandrake for a while I do more reading up on problems than actual using it)

Edited by airdragon

Is this after an upgrade of some sort? I upgraded some KDE files on my SuSE machine, and it effectively made kdm misfunction. I haven't found an answer to help me with that one (other than switching to xdm for my login manager...). I wish I had a better answer, but maybe my insight will help somebody else understand the problem better...

upgrading only a part of the kde-files can lead to catastrophic results (i destryoed my kde on suse twice... then i dumped suse :D). thus always do a full upgrade if possible.

it can be that you installed a somehow bad rpm. do a rpm search for the kdm in the net (there are many repositories) and try deinstalling the troublesome kdm-file and reinstalling the new rpm.

good luck.

upgrading only a part of the kde-files can lead to catastrophic results (i destryoed my kde on suse twice... then i dumped suse :D). thus always do a full upgrade if possible.

it can be that you installed a somehow bad rpm. do a rpm search for the kdm in the net (there are many repositories) and try deinstalling the troublesome kdm-file and reinstalling the new rpm.

good luck.

It upgraded just fine at home, but on my laptop at work, it failed somehow...I am actually using MDK 10 on my lap at work (not because of the kdm issue, but to see another distro).