Download managers?

papaschtroumpf

Is ther ea program that is similar to GetRight, StarDownloader, and other "download accelerators" that would allow me to download the same file from multiple mirrors at once (even a mix of FTP and HTTP mirrors)?

My "pipe" is generally larger than what one mirror will provide so by downloading different chunck of the file from different sources, I can use all of my bandwidth and get the downloaded file faster.

This could be for mdk ISO images, but also game demos, etc... The kind on hundred megs fils that are mirrored in many locations. It also helps when one source goes down because you don't have to start over.

Ideally I'd like both a command line and a GUI solution

I also use bittorrent when I can, buta large number of game demos are not available as torrent fir the first 24h after it's released. I'm going after speed, since I want to download from multiple sources to get the download faster.

I can't figure out how to retrieve the same file from multiple sources with wget. (I have read the man page, so I must have missed something)

d4x appears to be exactly what I want in the gui world though.

Thanks

Guest csanchisb

If you use KGet you surely have KGet installed, which comes with most distributions and is quite good, especially if you're using Konqueror to surf the web, because the integration is perfect.

I use d4x - while it does not download from multiple ftp sites at once (not good online-manners to do so) - it does allow you to add more than one location to use as alternatives.

The best downloader for Linux is wget. I'm not sure if you can download one file from simultaneous locations with it, but it does have resuming and just generally rocks ;)