Last try...

Lowe

I have almost given up, im seriously considering going back to winblows if i can't get this sorted out, i have tried everything to get my computer to display japanese correctly, i thought i had it last time, but i was wrong there was still some missing characters in my files, this time im going to explain in detail what i want in japanese and why. And another thing Kde is supposed to be so great at internalization, ha yeah right, it's murder to find help and unless you want a full blown japanese pc it's useless.

Alright a little bit of background first, im young and i love to watch anime, listen to japanese music and video game music. Most of my files mp3's, folder names etc are in japanese so of course i want to be able to see them in japanese even if i can't read them. :P With windows of course it was easy as usual, and i can display them fine.

Now another thing i love linux it's great but the only thing stopping me is this japanese madness, i honestly have tried for days if not weeks to get this right, but still no luck, whatsoever. Surely someone out there is just like me and has managed to get it working fine.

Also there is different encodings UTF-8 shift-jis etc so maybe i have to mess with some settings (which i have already tried) anyway it seems there is two files that, that change the display settings or whatever you want to call them these two files are located in -

/home/username/i18n/

/etc/sysconfig/i18n/

Now i could be totally wrong, there could be a lot of other files that change the settings, now first of im gonna post the contains of those files, just to show you and maybe you guys can find the problem. :P

First up /home/username/i18n/

LC_TELEPHONE=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8

LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_ADDRESS=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_NAME=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8

LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_GB.UTF-8

LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8

And second

SYSFONTACM=iso15

LANGUAGE=en_GB:utf8

LC_ADDRESS=en_GB

LC_COLLATE=ja_JP

LC_NAME=en_GB

LC_NUMERIC=en_GB

LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB

LC_TIME=en_GB

LANG=ja_JP

LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_GB

LC_MESSAGES=ja_JP

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP

LC_TELEPHONE=en_GB

LC_MONETARY=en_GB

LC_PAPER=en_GB

SYSFONT=lat0-16

Honestly any help at all would be great, even if it's just a guess. If i can't get this sorted out it's off back to windows, and i really don't want to go back, but i can not live without this.

http://dot.kde.org/1075655865/1075658566/

I founf this on KDE.org. Since ou had it partially working, maybe it's a bug in QT? The solution it seems is

You may need to set up your font substitution tables (strictly speaking part of qt, not kde). You can use kcharselect to see whether you have the fonts/glyphs. Chinese chars are around table 80. If you have fonts like Fangsong Ti or Song Ti, they will/should! display the right chars for those tables. If western fonts don't, use qtconfig to add Fangsong Ti or whatever to the western fonts. KDE Taiwan are using Tahoma (don't ask me why), so if you add (Fang)Song Ti to Tahoma and restart konqueror, it should then display.

These substitutions are stored in ~/.qt/qtrc

Good luck

I don't really think that's the problem, i can view all webpages fine. I used to be able to see the files fine, but, all my apps would start in japanese, so i really need everything to be in english but be able to see the filenames correctly, i really think it has to do with those files i posted up above.

Open qtconfig

go to fonts

make sure the default font is the same as the font you want to edit (see the screenshot--> sans is selected)

press 'add' --> add the fonts you see in the screenshot (or if you have other Japanese fonts use those)

close qtconfig and save settings.

restart X (ctrl-alt-backspace)

Good luck.

(I tried finding a file with a name in Japanese but couldn't find anything. How you look for something like that :D )

Edited by devries

GRR still not working. I added some fonts to it, restarted x and it still isn't showing correctly. ehm maybe i need those fonts you have, could you upload them or something, please. ^_~

EDIT: I managed to get those fonts and still no luck. In the attached pics the first is the way the folder looks in konqueror, and the second is a image i made in gimp the way it should look.

post-6369-1094854836_thumb.jpg

post-6369-1094854851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lowe

My standard font in konqueror is sans. I don't understand why it works in gnome and notin kde. 0_0

EDIT: I did a little test with my half japanese files, i tried to play one through BMP, it plays but it comes up Invalid UTF-8.

EDIT: Just did a test in gnome, played the same file (which displays prefect in gnome) and it shows up fine in BMP, am i really gonna have to switch to gnome just for this to work?

Edited by Lowe