king_scott_2

Hi all. I have just got an aldi computer (medion MD8083) and find that mandrake 10 I just installed. I am a compleate newbie at linux and need a few pointers.

1) how do I find and install drivers for the radion 9800XXL video card?

2) same thing for my Prism 802.11g wireless network card. Everything is working hunky dory

Thanks, P.S Yay my first post.

Look in the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) for more information about wireless card. Or, open a console, and type lspci and copy and paste the relevent details here (if you get 'command not found' you need to install the package 'pciutils' ie. as root, urpmi pciutils. For more information about urpmi look in the FAQs)

Good luck.

I e-mailed medion technical support asking them what type of wireless network card I have and this was their reply

Scott,

I am using the MD8083 as my work computer for the Medion Helpdesk.

I have rand sci soft sandra and looked in device manager and the driver is

installed as

"PRISM 802.11g Wireless Adapter"

Device manager also states the wireless adapter manufacturer is

"GlobespanVirata, Inc."

However when searching the internet for the manufactuer GlobalspanVirata,inc

the following url was discoverd.

http://www.emweb.com/

The homepage of this website states that GlobalspanVirata is now Conextant.

Therefore the following conextant web site contains windows conextant

drivers for WLAN 802.11g adapters.

However i am unsure of the availiability of linux drivers for the WLAN

802.11g network card. Unfortunatley we only support the windows XP home

edition operating system.

Thanks for your enquiry

David Buttigieg

Medion Helpdesk

I'm trying something called LinuxAnt to get it to work. I'll let you know how I go

Thanks, Scott

If that doesn't work use a newer kernel (at least 2.6.5 http://www.prism54.org/), or wait a few days/weeks for Mandrake 10.1

Good luck.

Ran those things. This is the output

[scott@LINUX scott]$ uname -r

2.4.25-2mdk

[scott@LINUX scott]$ lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB2 (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA/DB/EB PCI Bridge (rev c2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB SMBus Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4e4a

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4e6a

02:00.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor: Unknown device 3886 (rev 01)

02:02.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7134 (rev 01)

02:04.0 Communication controller: Intel Corp. 536EP Data Fax Modem

02:09.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105 [Rhine-III] (rev 8b)

02:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)

p.s Where can I get this new kernal. What is a kernal? will it support any extra hardware. Thanks. p.s My linux computer can not get on the net as I need to run the internet through a proxy server (through my wireless LAN)

The kernel is the heart of Linux. There are different versions: 2.4xxx and 2.6xxxx (and before that 2.2,.2.0 and don't ask about 2.3 and 2.5 :) )With the kernel come modules (drivers in Windows). The newer the kernel, the better the hardware support (or at least that's what it supposed to be). (so 2.6 is 'better' than 2.4)

Anyway, to cut a long story short. Just wait a few more days/weeks for Mandrake 10.1 and wireless support should work out of the box (I hope).

02:00.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor: Unknown device 3886 (rev 01)

That's your wirelss card. Unknown device means that there is no module (driver) for it. With a newer kernel (and the new module) it should be recognized.

Edited by devries

The kernel is the heart of Linux. There are different versions: 2.4xxx and 2.6xxxx (and before that 2.2,.2.0 and don't ask about 2.3 and 2.5 :) )With the kernel come modules (drivers in Windows). The newer the kernel, the better the hardware support (or at least that's what it supposed to be). (so 2.6 is 'better' than 2.4)

Anyway, to cut a long story short. Just wait a few more days/weeks for Mandrake 10.1 and wireless support should work out of the box (I hope).

But I want it now :(

How long would it take to download 10.1 with a 56k modem. I don't have internet connection on my linux machine.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/li...2.6.8.1.tar.bz2

This is the one (34MB). You need F for full version.

And read this threat for help: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...kernel++install

There is one thing: On a Mandrake with 2.4 kernel (like yours) it's almost impossible to build a 2.6 kernel (some tools were changed between the 2 kernel versions). You have the Mandrake 10? Install first the Mandrake 2.6 driver and boot into this kernel. That will take care of all dependencies and building a new kernel will be much easier.

Good luck

PS no problem :)

Just in: http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/101/community

Edited by devries

Ok so where can I download this mandrake 10.1 (i'll just do it at school and leave it going over night.) I do not want to pay for something I don't know will work. I found some beta testing downloads on the web for mandrake 10.1 is this version the same as the beta versions, if I have to pay and if it is the same i'll just download that. Thanks

Downloading 10.1 on a 56k would take some days before it's done. disc 1-3 in 2086 mb.

If you have silver member ship you can also download 10.1 powerpack which so you can download two extra CDs with lot of applications, goodies, stuff etc.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

• 5 weeks later...