How do YOU record TV ? (2.6 kernel)

theYinYeti

Unfortunately, my PC is not strong enough for all-in-one appls like freevo or mythtv (not even for watching... I tried).

As for cat'ing the device, my TV card is a cheap PCTV, so it only provides raw video I guess, not mpeg. It is not a 250 or 350 model.

So I have to compress the data, or the disk won't be fast enough.

Example I tried this, contributed by [i don't remember who]:

v4lctl -c /dev/video3 setstation 3

ffmpeg -vd /dev/video3 -ad /dev/dsp -dct_algo 3 -me zero -s 320x256 -ab 64 -qscale 3 -hq fftest.mpg

(yes, video3 is the good device) With this, I suddenly hear the TV channel I selected, until I press Q to stop recording. But the resulting file is always less than 100KB, and unreadable by either xine or aviplay.

I also try adding the ffmpeg option to say that TV format is SECAM. No change...

Another idea?

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

No luck, again...

I used (-oac) the pcm codec (no compression). But then mencoder said that tv:// url could not be opened (not recognized), even though it is in the man page! It seems something is expected after //.

I also tried gv4l: up to 11 frames recorded, and then nothing. And no sound.

I also tried dvr: I managed to record!!! I can play many minutes of recorded video!! But this video is only a distorted picture mixed with "snow", because I can't get dvr to tune to a given channel :( And no sound. If I activate sound recording, then there's an error message saying that the codec is not in the good format.

Any other idea? How do you record TV?

Yves.

Thanks, I'll try transcode. Note, though, that gv4l is a frontend to transcode. But then, I did get some frames (with a real picture inside) with gv4l, so playing with transcode most-hidden options may be the solution...

When I set out on this I hadn't expected to be on a degree path in video and audio processing. :-)
Oh how true !!!

Yves.