SVGATextMode & SAMSUNG SyncMaster 753s

gregor

OK, so when you exit x, you are not getting a command line.

If this is what is happening, see if you can do a ctrl f4 to get to a different console, and from there see if x is still running, or if maybe something else is hanging.

It seems like an agp port problem, the card not releasing correctly, so maybe the video driver is also wrong. If the only thing changed was the monitor, could be settings in x itself. So recreate your XF86Config file.

Some things to try, hope it helps.

It seems like an agp port problem, the card not releasing correctly, so maybe the video driver is also wrong. If the only thing changed was the monitor, could be settings in x itself.

Sorry... it must be something I did wrong. I tried it again, so I could report in more detail.

I uncommented line SVGATextMode S100x40 in "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" and everything worked just fine (actually I do start X at boot time).

In the mean time I upgraded BIOS & recompiled kernel because I had some problems with sound, so maybe that fixed the problem?

Thank you for trying to help.

BTW I found a more detailed description of a problem I had:

When I switch from X to one of the terminals pixel clock (clockprobe) is not restored, instead pixel clock (clockprobe) stays the same (as in X), that is what puts monitor out of specification. (I run SVGATextMode before I run X).

Monitor: SyncMaster 753s

Graphic card: Matrox G400

If I don't run SVGATextMode, pixel clock is restored without a problem.