Dual-Booting Linux/WinXP

DOA

Guest mysecretshame
the mandrake install will recognize it right, and you can use mandrake to clear out the second partition and set it up/reformat it the way it needs it.  just make sure you don't have anything on that drive.

but...it may be better, for windows, if you just delete the partition. otherwise windows may complain, ya never know.  also, it will make the process of partitioning things out for linux a lot easier when you get into the mandrake install-you can just tell it to use the empty space, and you won't have to guess which one is the one you want :)

Thanks. Deleted the partition and Mandrake found the empty space fine.

Now, I need to work out why the sound from my soundcard is so choppy... But I think that's a question for another thread.

What if you have Windows XP and Mandrake on the same drive, dual booting and you decide you want to uninstall Mandrake, well not exactly Mandrake but any Linux operating system?

Thanks,

Roy

Get a windows boot disk for Xpee.

Use linux to reformat all of the linux partitions and remove them.

Use the windows disk to remove the linux boot loader with the comand " MBR R " this remakes a windows Master Boot Record.

I think thats how you do it. I have never wanted to ever remove linux so i've never done it.

>I think thats how you do it. I have never wanted to ever remove linux >so i've never done it.

I have a spare hard drive with 98 and Red Hat on it, I was thinking of taking the Red Hat off and installing a different distribution on it. I have Mandrake on the main drive.

Thanks,

RCU

To clear something up for you.

Linux can READ an NTFS partition but it cannot yet write to NTFS partition securely.

While it can write you stand the chance of losing all your data on the NTFS partition and is therefore only recommended for developers. In fact if I'm not mistaken MDK9 wont allow you to, I dont think it's built into the kernel. I think you'll have to rebuild your kernel first before you'll be able to write to an NTFS partition.

Are you sure XP needs to be in the first 8GBs... I think they may have fixed that. When you install XP however it doesn't let you specify.

You'll have to partition your drive with Linux first in order to put XP at the end of the drive, and then XP will re-write your MBR then not allowing you to boot into Linux. You'll have to use the windows boot manager then to boot into Linux and I'm not sure how you'd do that. The other option would be to use a 3rd party boot manager, but what for.

Just put XP first, Linux last. I must also mention that the NTFS file system is VERY slow, the FAT32 file system is much faster.....

OK well that's my input... If I'm in any way wrong about the XP being able to go after the 8GB mark please tell me. Someone thats tried...!!

-AA

Guest Joe Noob

I have a brand new Toshiba laptop with a 40 gig HD and i wanted to give windows XP 10 gigs and use the rest for Drake 9.0 and maybe red hat or suse or ? Now the questions are 1 I have the downloaded version of 9.0 that I got from Linux format magazine, Im assuming that it comes with a repatitioning utility like my 8.2 store bought package 2 Once I get XP to play nice with one Linux distro adding more shouldnt be a problem and 3 Im still going to have problems with my modem since its a pci?

Hi. If you are considering more than one linux os besides Mandrake consider using Partition Magic to set up all the partitions you will be needing. PM can also downsize your xp partition without losing data. I think PM 8 now supports reiserfs (best file system) otherwise you should stick to ext3. Trouble with multi-booting is configuing how to boot everything. The linux boot loader that is installed in the mbr with the original dual boot system is capable of booting extra os - it just gets more complicated with different kernals. What I did was install each linux os boot loader in its own partition and then boot everything with Boot Magic - that works good.

Guest Joe Noob

Thanx andrek your probably right thats where I found win modem drivers for another computer I installed 8.2 on.

But I actually have a bigger problem but Ill put it on a new thread.

OK I think I'm gonna give Mandrake a try. I currently have 2 partitions (both NTFS): 17GB for WinXP and a 40GB for backup. I want to split the 40GB into a 10GB for Linux and keep 30GB for backup. Since the partition is NTFS should I use PM or re-partition the drive with the Mandrake installer? I would like to have full access to the 30GB partition from Linux so should I also make it FAT32?

Also, after installing Mandrake and I reboot which OS loads? I want to do a dual boot. Is it difficult to setup an Internet connection with Mandrake? I currently am using a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Thx.

Setting up a connection using a router is easier than in windows. Just set your connections to DHCP and default and evrything should connect right off the bat. Routers like the Linksys are designed to be invisable to your computer if set up the right way.

As for using the partition for linux.

Use the expert disk drake partitioning utility in the GUI installer of Mandrake.

Remove the NTFS partition.

The make a 10 gig patition formated fat32. Then format the rest of the drive fat32.

Now since you have a NTFS(winXp) partition, a 10 gig fat32 partition and a 30 gig fat32 partition remove the 10 gig partition and tell diskdrake to autoalocate the 10 gig space.

This will make your 3 linux partitions and give them a good size.

When it asks tell Mandrake to mount the 30 gig fat32 partition and you'll have access to it from linux/Mandrake.

Just tell the boot loader that you choose to use(I use Lilo) that you would like to be able to boot into the windows os also. Then you can boot to each.

I'm new to Linux but here is how I got mine to dual boot XP & MDK 9.0. I have a 40 GB and an 80GB HD. The 40 GB is all XP, primary master. The 80GB is two partitions, 40GB FAT32 and the second 40GB is MDK, primary slave. DVD & CD/RW are on the seconday controller as master & slave.

XP was already there, so I installed MDK on the second partition of the slave HD. I installed GRUB to the root partition of the MDK install.

Now to get the boot sector that is needed to boot linux to the XP drive I did:

dd if=/dev/hdb5 bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/XP/linux.bin

You do this in a linux console or terminal.

What this does is copy the GRUB boot sector to the XP drive at C: and puts it in a file called linux.bin.

Then on your XP drive at C: you have a file called boot.ini. This file is XP's boot loader that tells it what partition to boot. Here is my boot.ini:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

c:linux.bin="Mandrake Linux 9.0"

As you can see c:linux.bin="Mandrake Linux 9.0" poiints to the GRUB boot sector in c:linux.bin. When you boot up you get the XP boot screen with 1. XP and 2. MDK to choose from.

In this line that saved the GRUB boot sector:

dd if=/dev/hdb5 bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/XP/linux.bin

hdb5 is my root of my linux install, so if you install linux to hdc5 just replace the hdb5 with hdc5. I liked it this way because it leaves XP in tact and I can even unplug the linux drive and it will not conflict with XP in any way unless you select boot to linux.

It is 3 simple steps:

1. Install Linux

2. Copy the linux boot sector. dd if=/dev/hdb5 bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/XP/linux.bin

3. Add linux to boot.ini

Also, do not skip making that linux boot floppy, you need it to boot the first time to get the boot sector to the windows drive. This can most likely be done from the CD, but I don't know how, like I said, I'm new at this, so make that boot floppy.

To remove linux just delete the linux line from boot.ini, delete linux.bin and format the linux partition. I doubt that is going to happen, looks more like I might format XP!

Remove the NTFS partition. 

The make a 10 gig patition formated fat32. Then format the rest of the drive fat32. 

Now since you have a NTFS(winXp) partition, a 10 gig fat32 partition and a 30 gig fat32 partition remove the 10 gig partition and tell diskdrake to autoalocate the 10 gig space.

This will make your 3 linux partitions and give them a good size.

When it asks tell Mandrake to mount the 30 gig fat32 partition and you'll have access to it from linux/Mandrake.

I remove my NTFS and then create 2 FAT32 partitions using drake. Why do I then need to remove the 10gig? Also are all these allocate/mount commands built in the graphical installer (I don't need to type in commands right)?

Everything is in a gui.

Basicly i've run into problems with Mandrakes expert setup. If I choose expert setup and choose alll of my partitions no matter how large or what order i place the partitions in Mandrake NEVER gets the right size and stops my install. If I tell it to autoallocate it finds the right size of the partitions everytime. More than likly just my disks or hardware.

You'll have to remove the 10gig partition otherwise mandrake can't find any empty space to autoallocate.

It might try/ask to use the whole disk if you don't.

By the way. None of this accually changes the hard drive at all untill you tell it to write the new partitions. So you can change anything you don't like at anytime and the old partitons are still there. Basicly your making a new map for the program to use.