K3b and DVD-R ?

Guest plasticam

Guest plasticam

Hi,

Firstly i am a complete newbee to Linux and have only had Mandrake 10.0 on for 2 days now.

I have tried Mandrake before (over 18 months ago) but removed it because i needed the facilty to burn DVD-R.

However having read that K3b supports DVD-R i decided to give it another go.

Anyway my problem is that i cannot get K3b to work correctly (please see attached image).

Would anyone here have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

post-6936-1094312501_thumb.jpg

What comes out when you press the "Show Debugging Output" button? I mean, this error message could mean anything. It's the Debugging Output that is more important.

What were you trying to do in the first place? Copy DVDs or get some data backed up into DVD-Rs? If you are trying to copy DVDs, do you have enough space in your temporary directory in K3b to put the data in the original source DVDs? K3B default to putting the temporary directory into /tmp which (unless you have multiple gigabytes of RAM) is definitely not enough space. Try changing it to a directory where you are sure you have the hard disk space.

In any case.. I just got a Benq DW822A Plus DVD-Writer. I can burn DVD-Rs (notice the -) without any problem with this hardware.

Guest plasticam

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the Debugging Output:

System

-----------------------

K3b Version: 0.11.6cvs

KDE Version: 3.2 BRANCH >= 20040204

QT Version: 3.2.3

growisofs

-----------------------

:-( isane dao:1 option

growisofs comand:

-----------------------

/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=dummy -use-the-force-luke=dao:1 -speed=8

I was trying to copy an existing DVD-R on the fly (therefore not using any hdd space).

I have tried copying the disc to the hard drive first and this is only sometimes successful (although K3b reports it as successful but it has only burned a small amount of data to the disc).

I too am using DVD-R's.

Hope this mught throw some light on my problem.

Regards..

What kind of DVD Writer is it?

Have you changed your temporary directory when you are copying the disc into the hard drive?

Have you tried making a data DVD-R/RW?

It seems that from the error message, it's the dao part that is problematic.

Anyway, I have problems writing DVD on my laptop, too. I chalked it up as the DVD-Writer in my laptop getting too hot to burn properly no matter it is in Windows or Linux, no matter what kind of program I use. (a Pentium 4 laptop with a DVD burner is not a good combination).

Firstly, I am no expert! BUT I do use K3b with success burning DVDs.

I have had to go to "Settings" "Configure K3b" "Devices"

and scroll down to "cdrdao driver" and choose generic or generic mmc

I also burn at 1 speed even though I should be able to burn at 8x with my DVD

The other thing I have found which I think is real important!!! IS some DVD media just WILL NOT BURN WITH MY DVD BURNER" either in Linux or Windows. This has happened to me quite a bit with different brands. So I have had to be very choosy with what I buy and it makes all the difference.

I hope this may get you going!

• 3 weeks later...