major device problems

Latem

Hello, I have Mandrake 10 Official, and everything worked fine for some time. I have a USB IOmega Zip100 drive, and a Sony 52x32x52 burner.

A week ago my zip drive was messing up, and when I would put in a zip disk it would create a new mount point /mnt/zip2, mount the disk there, and add the appropriate entry in fstab.

Anyway, after reading around the net I concluded that supermount doesnt work right w/ USB, so I changed my fstab.

My old fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/zip2 supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

notice the zip2 entry, which was not there before, and even if I delete it, and restart, when I put in a new zip disk, it would create the new mount point, and add the line.

So I changed the fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 /mnt/zip vfat rw,noauto,user,exec 0 0

That seemed to fix it, and my zip disk seemed to work nice.

But today I tried writing to the zip disk for the 1st time in a while. I kept getting error: "Writing to devices is not supported".

And I could not fix it. I searched, and some1 on linuxforums had the same problem w/ floppy, and ppl suggested chmodding the appropriate /dev/ file (/dev/fd0 for floppy I think). anyway I tried that (chmodding the zip /dev file) but that didnt work.

I also get the same error if I try to write to floppy.

I am able to burn, however, it is really slow.

Before, when I burnt stuff, it [K3b] would say starting burning at 52x or whatever I specified, but than it would complain how the burner or the media doesn't support that speed, starting at 0x. But it would burn w/ an average speed of 30-35x. A pretty full audio disk would take ~3mins to burn. This was acceptable, even though I had a 52x burner.

But now I tried burning an audio CD of 10 tracks, < 1hr of music, and it had an avg speed of 5x, taking 13 mins to burn. This is just retarded...

I really have a serious problem here, and I dont know what caused my system to mess up so bad. I dont think it was changing the fstab, but whatever caused the zip to start messing up, which seemed to me to happen out of the blue. I know I didnt do anything w/ settings and stuff.

Also changing fstab to the original file, which was the Mandrake default, doesnt solve the problem.

Please help me fix this.

Thanks a lot,

Latem

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I can write to the zip disk by opening it in one window, and then dragging a file from another window to the zip, and choosing copy or move.

But If I use Edit | Copy and Paste, or Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V , or any combination of these it complains with "Writing to devices is not supported".

And today I tried burning an audio cd, and it worked good enough, with an average speed of 25x, burning 20 songs (~70mins) in 3:40 mins. This is acceptable, so I guess that works, and I dont know why it was so slow yesturday.

Any ideas?

Latem