Creative USB modem

Guest SoArEs

Hi everybody!

This is my fisrt time using Linux.

I am using Mandrake 10.0 and I can't use my USB modem

(Creative Modem Blaster USB DE5771)

It worked under Windows.

In Mandrake my USB modem appears as "Creative (?) DE5771 Modem Blaster".

I don't find any driver for this modem (for Linux) at the official Creative web site.

Could anyone help me on this? Thanks a lot.

:thanks:

Don't be too sure it's a winmodem, well actualy, since you sound new to linux, let me start at the begining of what you need to know.

1. most computers these days use "win-modems" which are not real modems. That is to say that they don't actualy convert the data to an analog signal and transmit. The data is converted by a software driver and sent to the modem for pumping onto the phone line.

2. Most external SERIAL modems and a handfull of pci ones, as well as most ISA modems if you have an older PC, are "real" modems. Usualy refered to a 'hardware controlled modems" 100% of hardware controlled modems work with linux.

3. USB modems are about 70/30 hardware/win in my experience. So there's a god chance that it's hardware, especialy since My modem is a Creative Labe Modem Blaster serial and it's hardware. TheUSB is probalby the same guts with a USB cable.

4. Linux does not use drivers for hardware modems. You need to figure out what comm port linux thinks your modem is on. That can be tough with a USB modem, maybe someone else can help you with that. Once you find it, you need to make a link from it to /dev/modem and then programs like kppp and wvdial (your standard linux dialer programs) will be able to find and use it.

If you have questions after all that (likely) go ahead and ask and I or someone else will try to help