trying to share files between PCs

axel_2078

Ok, I read the FAQ on how to set up Samba networking and I did it. I'm networking Mandrake Linux 10.0 to Win2K. Anyway, it went fine. Mandrake could see Windows shares and Windows could see Mandrake shares. I even managed to change the Mandrake workgroup name to match my Windows workgroup name. Anyway, I noticed last night that the shares seem to have disappeared. I opened up Konqueror and clicked on the smb4k icon under /home/kevin and it just displayed a blank screen. I then typed in smb:\ into the URL bar, which also displayed a blank screen. Then I tried going to start>internet>file sharing>smb4k. Normally, this would show my shared directories, or I'd be able to add shared directories, but nothing was displayed. I clicked on the "Home" workgroup (my Windows workgroup) at the top of the screen and it just hanged. I closed it out, reopened it and clicked on the "networking" tab, and it also hanged. What happened to my shared folders? Am I supposed to manually start Samba networking after each restart? Is there something I forgot to do? A friend of mine running Linspire told me that you have to manually map the shared folders and somehow save the configuration, or else the shared directories will appear blank the next time you login to check them. Please help. :juggle:

Edited by axel_2078

you can map from consloe however i dont know how, and its a pain unless u know what your doing,

but smb4k mounts the drives so you dont need to do it from colsole, it saves them in your home directory under "username"/smb4k/"computername"/"share"

username is your login name

computer name is the networked computer

share is the folder/ drive that is shared, and it saves them there so if u reboot it shouldl still be there, u just have to mount it in smb4k