where do I put files to be shared btwn users

axel_2078

you could place the folder in any directory you want, but i would suggest to create a /shared folder in /home where all these files are placed and setting read-write-access for the specific members and linking a folder the the users /home directory to the respective /home/shared directories.

alternatively, you could add anextra partition for shared files and do some linking stuff then.... this is what i usually do.

you could place the folder in any directory you want, but i would suggest to create a /shared folder in /home where all these files are placed and setting read-write-access for the specific members and linking a folder the the users /home directory to the respective /home/shared directories.

alternatively, you could add anextra partition for shared files and do some linking stuff then.... this is what i usually do.

I don't think that it is possible to create simlinks to files located on a different partition. Some time ago, I was trying to create a FAT32 link to a file in /home - didn't work...

I don't think that it is possible to create simlinks to files located on a different partition. Some time ago, I was trying to create a FAT32 link to a file in /home - didn't work...

you have to set the corresponding user rights(read/write/user-group) for this to work. i use it all the time and i don't have any problems.

you have to set the corresponding user rights(read/write/user-group) for this to work. i use it all the time and i don't have any problems.

When I try to create a symlink on /mnt/win_d (vfat share partition to share files between linux and windows) to a file from ~/, I get this

ln -s /home/xxxx/file.tex test.tex

ln: creating symbolic link `test.tex' to `/home/xxxx/file.tex': Operation not permitted

I tried doing that as user or root, same result....

Edited by coverup

uh.. now i see the problem... i misunderstood you a bit. what i do is put the files that need to be shared between users in specific folders on a vfat partition. then i do add the folder-link to the different users, not the file directly. so, the user has to open the folder first, then he has to open the file which has specific set usergroup-rights.

but i do think you way should be possible. in kde and gnome, add a shortcut to the specific file you want to share on the desktops and give the shortcuts and the original file on the vfat partition the corresponding usergroup rights. i hope this works. if not, tell me, so we can find a solution.

good luck :)

uh.. now i see the problem... i misunderstood you a bit. what i do is put the files that need to be shared between users in specific folders on a vfat partition. then i do add the folder-link to the different users, not the file directly. so, the user has to open the folder first, then he has to open the file which has specific set usergroup-rights.

but i do think you way should be possible. in kde and gnome, add a shortcut to the specific file you want to share on the desktops and give the shortcuts and the original file on the vfat partition the corresponding usergroup rights. i hope this works. if not, tell me, so we can find a solution.

good luck :)

Thanks, arctic.

I see what you mean - in fact, you keep shared files on vfat partition as opposed to what I was trying to achieve at a time - keeping my files on ext3 (which I trust) and hard symlink them to copies on the vfat partition (which I didn't trust :D ). I was hoping that would allow me to sync files between linux and windows. No worries, I have ended up using Ext2FS Everywhere to read from /write to ext3 partitions, it works like a charm. I may now get read of vfat buffer partition at all.

Thanks for offering help anyway.