shutting down/USB key question...

quartz01

:help: i am totally new to linux so bare with me..

i just installed Mandrake 10.0 and when i want to shut down the shutting down bar goes almost all the way to the end a just stays there.... is that what it is supposed to do????

and also, i know when you want to take a usb key out on windows you have to "safely remove hardware". do you have to do that in linux too??? and if so, where is the icon

:thanks:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

hi quartz. :)

usually, the computer should shut down automatically, but if it doesn't do it ... well, just switch it off manually. on my laptop, it is just the same. it goes all the long way and then i have to push the "power" button in order to completely power it off. if you press the "esc" key, you will see all messages and you will se that all system parts got unmounted and all applications were stopped with the kill command. so you can happily power it off. nothing won't happen to your box. and even if your comp accidently gets stripped off its power supply, your box won't be harmed in any way (at least i NEVER had any problems in nearly two years when powering down the "unusual way" by accident)

the usb mounting stuff... well. just plug it in and use the usb stuff and plug it off whenever you like. no special "unmounting" is needed. my digital camera, my card-reader and my external usb-floppy work that way without any problems. and the icons: for something like a camera, the icons will appear by default in gnome, in kde i had to activate it first. but it is all very easy to use.

• 2 months later...