can you use an UPS with Mandrake?

axel_2078

I have a Belkin UPS that I've been using for a couple years now, under Windows XP. Since I recently switched over to Mandrake 10.0, is the UPS just a useless device attached to my computer now? I checked Belkin's website, and they don't offer support for Linux. Am I just out of luck?

I have an APC and they do offer linux support. Not much help to you currently though.

I think that you can still get some use from the UPS, it just won't have fancy software to monitor and do auto shutdown. It should continue to give power. You can test it by pulling the plug and see what happens. :D

But if you're onsite you can shutdown manually in event of power failure. In any case, depending on your model, it should also be providing surge and voltage regulation and that is worth something too. So it is worth keeping, though you may want to replace it in time with a model that does have linux support available.

Kmack

I have a Belkin UPS that I've been using for a couple years now, under Windows XP. Since I recently switched over to Mandrake 10.0, is the UPS just a useless device attached to my computer now?  I checked Belkin's website, and they don't offer support for Linux.  Am I just out of luck?

Axel;

Belkin has UPS support and drivers for almost every OS out there. See the below URL. I had my 1400 installed and running in MDL 10 just find using the downloadable software, nice GUI and all. I am running 10.1 B2 now so I have not had a chance to check it out yet :)

http://web.belkin.com/support/download/dow...-4&lang=1&mode=