Mandrake 10.0 & ATI Drivers ????

Guest nvrsbr

Guest nvrsbr

Is there any instructions out there on how to install the ATI Drivers for Linux in Mandrake 10 ? I cannot get them to work at all :angry:

I followed some of ATIs instructions on their website to fix a few things but it does no good, I still cannot get them to work.

If anyone has installed them successfully can you please explain what you did to get then to work.

Thanks

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

My laptop has an ATI mobility Radeon 9000 and when I installed Win XP on it, it recognized that it was there, but couldn't find a driver for it. I tried downloading it from my laptop vender, but it kept saying files were missing and it wouldn't load. I also tried the ATI driver CD that came with the laptop and got the same result. Unfortunately, ATI does not have driver support for ATI mobile video cards. Isn't that messed up? Luckily, Mandrake had no problem installing a driver for it. ATI just sucks all around. Their driver support isn't the greatest, that's for sure.

Edited by axel_2078

I have a Mobility M6 and I got nothing but errors when I tried to install a driver for it. I contacted the manufacturer of my computer which is HP but they sent me drivers that are over 3 years old, so that's no good. I agree with axel_2070 ATI doesn't really have support for Linux Drivers, on the other hand Nvidia has the best out of all! I'm hoping to get an Nvidia card soon.

-JeT

I have a Mobility M6 and I got nothing but errors when I tried to install a driver for it.  I contacted the manufacturer of my computer which is HP but they sent me drivers that are over 3 years old, so that's no good.  I agree with axel_2070 ATI doesn't really have support for Linux Drivers, on the other hand Nvidia has the best out of all! I'm hoping to get an Nvidia card soon.

-JeT

Ok, go to ATI's site and download the driver package for linux.

Next, go to MCC (type it into Konsole) and go to Software Management-> Install

Next, search by typing in 'kernel' and install the Kernel Souces Package.

You will now need to run the ATI installer,

tar -zxvf <package_name>

then

./<package_name>

It will tell you you need to run a command in /bin/ (I forgot what it is) to config your headers. Do that.

Now, re-run the installation, then run fglrxconfig

and configure your card.

Finally,

go ahead and restart :-)

Christian