mdklinux and suselinux

fahd

Hi mdklinux developers.

No doubt that I like mdk linux, BUT. Mandrakesoft did not make a serious developement in mdklinux products since mdklinux 9.0, Why? I have been using mdklinux and suselinux for more than 4 years. Do you know why? Because both linux distros are good enough and end-user friendly package. I always discover more and more differences between these tow distros. I have found that mandrake linux only release new versions of linux including new versions of KDE and GNOME. The same issue hapens with suse linux. The major difference between the tow linux leaders are described here:

YAST2 is very good system management tool given to linux fans. On the othrer side, mcc (mandrake control center) is very weak and not considerable, does not include every thing you need (just take a look on YAST2).

Suselinux does include an on-line update option, mdk does not. Really it is very important to keep your system updated and secure, is not it?

Mandrakelinux is correctly manipulating the multi-ops disks unlike suselinux.

Mandrakelinux is correctly handling most usb scanners than suselinux.

Linuxshield is runinng very smartly under mandrakelinux. On suselinux you always get an error message.

Here in Hungary we get a relatively humble technical support from the local hungarian suselinux team??!!Anyway it is better than nothing.Will mandrakesoft make the same goal, providing us with a local mandrakelinux-team. This is very relevant.

In spite of all these drawbacks, MANDRAKELINUX is still the unique linux distro all over the world (with fedora), that provide us this magnificent linux product and really worths compliments. Just go ahead

Congratulation ..

I am curious about the online update posts. When I do a fresh install of Mandrake, since around 8.0, I go to the software update in mcc, it asks me permission to go online to find a server, and it gets the updates. I realize that configuring urpmi is a more robust system, but I keep reading that Mandrake does not have an automatic update, which is simply not true. B)

Again, I recommend manually configuring urpmi, but Mandrake does indeed have an online update system in place, just like SuSE and others. (I have used many of them!)