am I running out of space?

axel_2078

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 a few days ago. I have a 30 GB drive. When I installed the OS, I let it partition everything automatically for me. Out of curiousity, I looked at the root folder and looked at the properties and it's using 3.4 GB out of 5.8. Is this going to be a problem soon? Did it partition itself right, or sholuld there be much more room in there?

My 3.4G root partition was getting constrained, recently, so I squeezed a little more space out of my system, and added a 4.0G partition, and moved /usr to it.

One of these days I'm going to re-do my entire drive, and give over about 48G to Linux, instead of the paltry 13G i have right now.

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 a few days ago.  I have a 30 GB drive.  When I installed the OS, I let it partition everything automatically for me.  Out of curiousity, I looked at the root folder and looked at the properties and it's using 3.4 GB out of 5.8.  Is this going to be a problem soon?  Did it partition itself right, or sholuld there be much more room in there?

I think that depends on what other partitions the installer created.

If it only created / then it might not be enough (although it depends on how many programs you install and how much space do your users take). But If it did a separate partition for /usr (where the progs are installed), another one for /home (your users files) and another one for /var (system logs and, variables??), then it should plenty.

I'm confused about something. When I installed Mandrake on my Laptop, what I had intended to do was install Mandrake in the Windows partition so I could dual boot and have another Fat32 partition for data files. When I installed XP, I formatted 20 GB of the 40 GB hard drive and installed it there and left the remaining 20 GB unformatted. Once XP was installed and ready to go, I installed Mandrake. When it asked me where to install to, I chose the Windows partition. Well, it installed root there, and everything else was installed on the other unformatted drive, so now I don't have a partition for data files. What did I do wrong?

It means you've probably formated the XP partition :)). At least that's what MNF wanted to do :D. Even if the FS of the XP partition was FAT32 it wouldn't install without formating it.

I don't know your current situation but the next time you install Linux make 2 Ext3 partitions: one for the swap file and the other for the rest of the installation. You can dual boot even if you have the Win installation on one hard disk and the Linux on another. So the next time don't install any Linux stuff on the XP partition.

XP is still there and I can boot into it just fine. If I wanted to have that fat32 partition for data files, what should I do so I won't make the same mistake again? If I create the two ext3 partitions, what will that affect the fat32 partition in any way? I guess what I'm saying is, how should I set it up?

When it asked me where to install to, I chose the Windows partition. Well, it installed root there, and everything else was installed on the other unformatted drive, so now I don't have a partition for data files. What did I do wrong?

You probably chose the 'Use free space on windows partition' option, that it actually means that the installer will resize the windows partition -taking up all the free space that was there- and create a new partition for linux with it.

So It want erase the whole window$ partition and make window$ dissapear but will reduce it and leave it with no free space.

XP is still there and I can boot into it just fine.  If I wanted to have that fat32 partition for data files, what should I do so I won't make the same mistake again? If I create the two ext3 partitions, what will that affect the fat32 partition in any way?  I guess what I'm saying is, how should I set it up?

You should tell the MDK installer that you wanna do the partitioning by yourself by choosing 'Custom disk partitioning' and then create the fat32 partition -apart from the window$ one- you wanna use for storing and sharing files between win and lin.

For linux, the easiest will be to make a big root partition (/) and separate /home partition. But about linux partitions you can find lots of info on the web...