sound card issue

kustom

Ok, so i'm on MDK 10 official. I guess you could say i'm a bit of a noob.

Problem: I can play audio cd's only with one audio player (Totem Media Player) ...everything works fine on that player. Then if itry play a cd with say xmms or "cd player" ....the seconds tick over but i hear nothing. Also, with gaim i get no sounds, xchat i hear no beeps. Everything else just won't make a sound, i figured this is kinda weird because my drivers appear to be working.

soundcard:

Vendor: ‎Silicon Integrated Systems [siS]

Alternative drivers: ‎ali5455:i810_audio:nvaudio

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus identification: ‎1039:7012:1849:7012

Location on the bus: ‎0:2:7

Description: ‎SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator

Module: ‎snd-intel8x0

Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Now i'm puzzled as to why my audio cd's play on only one type of player (Totem Media Player) and not others, to me that just doesn't make sense. and why the i can't get any sound happening anywhere else, since my drivers appear to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

edit: also, if I change the driver, must i logout + log back in for it to come into effect, or will it work straight away. ahh crap, i just noticed i posted this in software ....*dopey* could a mod please move it to hardware, lol my bad.

-kustom

Edited by kustom

Actually I use gnome. And hey what do you know, all my sounds work on kde ....but i'm not a big fan of kde (tis' why i use gnome) but yeah. not sure what i should do now lol ....why does it work on KDE, and not gnome? :unsure:

Edited by kustom

not sure what alsa is, or OSS (yeh, noob..) i don't really care what needs to be done. i just want gnome to run with sound (with xmms) i'll updrade xmms now though.

how would i go about switching it to alsa, or OSS? a detailed explanation would be nice considering i'm a little slow. :lol:

Edited by kustom

yeah, i can change the driver. but am i supposed to put anything in the "configure module" part ...because thats empty. and i have no idea of what to put in there, if anything.