Mandrake a la Gentoo

Peppercorn

Yeah, I guess if there was a way of automating the process it would be worth it. But Mandrake is already fast in its own way. Now, if we had Portage for Mandrake... :P

Here's what I wish: that Mandrake would urpmi itself up a point release. That's why I love Gentoo - install it once and it'll always be up to date. With Mandrake, you install 10 and then a few months later you have to install 10.1....

It does. Same with debs apt. they both can do what portage can do. The diff is the commands are spread out between several functions of the app so you really just have to know the right combo of a command to give. Urpmi can download source....rpm-build rebuilds......rpmbuilder compiles a group and urpmi can be told to download only, just like apt....bla bla bla bla....what do you think portage is? One that does all...... && ;)

compiling everything made no diff on my 600 Celeron. Probably just put it in its grave a little sooner ;)

Right. So would you mind giving me the urpmi command I can use to go from Mandrake 10 -> Mandrake 10.1 ?

urpmi --auto --autoselect

yes it works. It took me from

10-rc2

10-beta1

10-beta2

10-CE

brief 2 week kde down time.....fluxbox worked...didn't install gnome.....had debian installed so I used it.

10-OE

was that all you were talking about? I thought you were saying mandrake couldn't download source & compile & install in one & command>logout>login>done ;)

was that all you were talking about? I thought you were saying mandrake couldn't download source & compile & install in one & command>logout>login>done ;)

Yes, that's what I was talking about. I didn't realise that --auto --autoselect would go up a point release... hmm... not good to hear that it breaks things though.

I guess I'll have to try this.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. I didn't realise that --auto --autoselect would go up a point release... hmm... not good to hear that it breaks things though.

I guess I'll have to try this.

It broke X/kde because mandrake pulled Xfree 4.4, if you remember. And X still worked w/ flux and maybe others. Apt has borked 2 of my debian installs and yum 2 fedora installs. Gentoo borked something about every other day, but then I was cutting edge....oops.....same with mandrake/cooker/urpmi ;) urpmi has never borked an install ;)

I use only the best :headbang: Mandrake :headbang:

I was just going to post about urpmi --auto --autoselect:

not to hijack the thread, but when I issue that command (as root) I now get:

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 9 or signal 0

Installation failed, some files are missing:
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/libfreetype6-2.1.7-4plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/mplayer-gui-1.0-0.pre4.7plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/mplayer-1.0-0.pre4.7plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/gtk-gnutella-0.93.4-1plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/libxvid4-1.0.1-1plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/libMagick5.5.7-5.5.7.15-6plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/ImageMagick-5.5.7.15-6plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/libfaad2_0-2.0-4plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/xanim-codecs-1.0-3plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/liblame0-3.96-1plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/libfreetype6-devel-2.1.7-4plf.i586.rpm
You may want to update your urpmi database
   ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0/./i586/libfreetype6-2.1.7-4plf.i586.rpm
...retrieving failed: curl: (9) Couldn't cd to pub

Not sure what it means, but it's obviously related to PLF. Seems that every time I have tried adding PLF to my sources it broke something. :angry: Am I doing something wrong? did whatever PLF mirror I was using disappear? what does "You may want to update your urpmi database" mean?

use another plf......out of 10 or so tries, I have only gotten our plf to work once.

update the urpmi database w/

urpmi.update -a

SEE: man urpmi

/and friends listed at the bottom of that man page.

what does updating the urpm database do? does it update the list of what's installed or the list of what's available? edit: from what I gather from the man page it simply updates the list of what's available from each source.

edit: what's a good PLF repository to use? I believe I originally set mine up through easyurpmi.

Damn!, nothing in the US. Au moins la France n'est pas en reste!

I guess I'll go for urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...f/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

edit: I assume I should remove my previous PLF source. Can I remove it from the command line? it doesn't appear to be what --exclude does.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

what does updating the urpm database do? does it update the list of what's installed or the list of what's available? edit: from what I gather from the man page it simply updates the list of what's available from each source.

It updates what's available... essentially. It retrieves a list of packages and their descriptions from the server. The list of what's installed is local, obviously.

Use any other PLF really, or try a few until you find one that works. You can remove sources from the command line, or use the GUI - it amounts to the same thing.