list my USB devices?

papaschtroumpf

I'm trying to connec t my USB printer (Samsung ML1710 laser) to my mdk 10 OE box.

when I try autodetecting in cups, it tells me it found a printer on the parallel port even though nothing is plugged in the parallel port.

If I manually enter /dev/usb/lp0 it doesn't work either.

I know that particular model of printer is supported by CUPS (it' in the list of printers),

So maybe it's just a connectivity issue. Is ther a way to list the USB devices connected to my machine so that I at least know mdk is seeing the printer?

The only thing in /dev/usb is "hid"

installed it and it tells me it can't open /proc/bus/usb/devices (which it can't because it's not there) so MAndrake didn't properly detct/setup my USB hardware and ports :angry:

I thought everything was fine becase the hardware wizard sees 2 VT82C586B USB controllers, and the following appears in dmesg:

ohci_hcd: 2004 Feb 02 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)

drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver

drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver

so I'm not sure what the issue is. Just to be sure, usbview works with the 2.6.3 kernels right?

usbview tells me to check that USN is compiled into the kernel (I assume it is in the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel), to make sure the proper modules are loaded (what are the proper modules? how do I know if they're loaded? what aren't they automatically?) and to make sure that usbdevfs is mounted (should ther ebe an entry in my fstab? because there is no usb entry there).

who said linux was plug and play again?

Edit: I tried plugging a USB thumb drive in the usb port and I don't see it getting automounted to the deskop like it did on a different motherboard. My motherboard is a Shuttle AK35GT2 (KT333 based) motherboard.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

I had only grep'd for uppercase USB inside of dmesg. If I do a case insensitive grep, here's waht I get:

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbfs

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hub

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usblp

drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hiddev

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hid

drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver

This all looks to me like there is no problem. What am I missing?

Do I need to add an entry to usbdevfs in my fstab file? if so, what would it look like?

Edited by papaschtroumpf

if I do an lsmod I see "usbcore 99132 4 hid,usblp,ohci-hcd"

Trying to read up on USB, it seems that VIA based boards should use the UHCI and not OHCI driver (by the way I lied in my post above, it turns out my motherboard is based on the KT266A). why did Mandrake install the OHCI driver then?

no parallel port on my printer :P

I'm thinking about doing a full re-install though: I swapped the motherboard a few weeks ago without doing a full re-install and it might explain the wrong usb type issue (the previous board was based on a SiS chipset, not VIA). There are other worrysome symptoms too: lsmod shows that both via-agp and sis-agp are installed.