"Please insert CD4" - there's only 3

Guest eibwen

Guest eibwen

Hi all. I'm still pretty new to Linux, and trying to install a few softwares such as XMMS. They say I need the GCC compiler, but when I try to install that, it prompts me for various CDs, including "CD4". Trouble is, Mandrake Linux 10.0, when I downloaded the ISOs, only had 3 CDs. I even tried downloading a GCC RPM, and when I try to install, same thing - "Please insert CD4".

How do I get this installed since I don't have a fourth CD? (I won't even ask why a software that comes on 3 CDs has the phrase "Please insert CD4" in it...) Thanks for any help you can give.

Firstly, you need to go to "Mandrake Control Centre" then choose "Software Management" and then "Media Manager"

Untick CD4 and and press OK and shut the lot down.

Then, have you updated your urpmi mirror database?? (where Mandrake downloads programs and updates from)

If you have, just retype in the original command and instead of asking you for CD4 it will download it from the proper mirror.

If you hav'nt, go to plf.zarb.org and select "easyurpmi"

There, you select the version of Mandrake you are using and the different mirrors that you want to download from into the future, usually the ones that are closest to you geographically.

Follow the instructions, and from there you should be right once your database has been substansiated.