newbie trying to install nvidia drivers for GF4MX440

Guest merlin

hey,

im pretty new to linux, just installed mandrake 9.0 today although i had a bit of a play with redhat 6.0 a couple of years ago so i know the real basics :)

anyways im trying to install the nvidia drivers for my gf4mx440 by so far having no luck whatsoever, can somebody please give me a reasonably easy to follow step-by-step guide, im not a total retard so it doesn't have to be too in depth but so far i havn't been able to find much on the net

cheers :)

-merlin

Welcome to the Mandrake family! The tutorial you're looking for can be found at http://mdkxp.by-a.com The site appears to be down right now, but I'm sure it will be back up soon. There are a lot of useful tutorials there.

In case the site doesn't come back up as soon as you'd like, are you trying to install from source? src.rpm? .rpm? I know how to do the latter 2, but I'm not sure on the first. I'll assume .src.rpm and give you a quick run through:

Bring up a console window, or starting before X is started, at the command prompt

cd to the folder you downloaded the files to.

switch to root (su <enter> root password <enter>) and type

rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-yourversion.src.rpm <enter>

rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-yourversion.src.rpm <enter>

This will build the rpms for your system, if you just got the .rpm files, install them one at a time, kernel first with

rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-yourversion.rpm

repeat for the GLX file.

if you rebuilt the source, cd (still as root) to /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/ii586 (this is on my system, there will be a message at the end of the rebuild telling you exactly where the file was written) and install the rpm's with the method listed above.

now comes the file editing. I will assume you're already in X for the entire install process for these instructions.

cd to /etc/X11as root. issue the following command

kate XF86Config-4

If you're not already in X, open the file in the editor of choice (emacs, vi, whatever)

This will open the XF86Config file in a text editor. scroll through until you see the following section:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"

Driver "nv"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Change the "nv" to "nvidia" Save, Reboot and enjoy. You'll know you got it right when the NVidia logo comes up as X starts. Hope this helps.