sound card

Guest batmike

Guest batmike

i installed Mandrake 10.0 recently and i still cant get it to detect my sound card. it doesnt show up in the drakconfig list of hardware. i've tried running 'sndconfig' like other threads suggested, but when it scans for PCI and PnP cards it finds nothing (probably because the card is ISA), and then i must select my card from a list.

Windows device manager says my card is an Aztech 2320 Compatible PnP Audio (WDM), but i cant seem to find this exact card on the 'sndconfig' list. i've tried picking the generic Soundblaster 16 from the list, but then it wants me to adjust the I/O Port, IRQ, DMA 1, DMA 2, and other stuff when i dont even know what to set it at. Eventually this error comes up when it tries a sample sound:

The following error occurred running the modprobe program:

WARNING: /etc/sndconfig-9XVmlm

line 3: ignoring bad line starting with 'probeall'

Would anyone have ideas of what i'm doing wrong?

....... but then it wants me to adjust the I/O Port, IRQ, DMA 1, DMA 2, and other stuff when i dont even know what to set it at. .......

I am not a MDK 'pro', but the I/O, IRQ, and DMA info should be available when you are in windoze. The control panel should have a system icon that lists the hardware. This was available under the system 'device' tab in '98. I am not familiar with later versions.

The properties for that device will list the info you need. The properties are available with a RIGHT click while on that device.

Guest batmike

is it possible that my card doesnt work because its a bit old? what if i just went out and bought a newer card? what sounds cards are known to work without alot of hassle?