MDK to MDK print sharing

DaveQB

Ok so when your searching online bout Linux print serving/sharing its 99% of the time returning search results of Window to/from Linux sharing.

What i want to know is the obvious, Linux to Linux sharing.

Server - MDK 9.2 kernel 2.4

Desktop - MDK 10.0 OE kernel 2.6

My desktop see's the server and the shared printer. but initially wouldnt print. I edited /etc/cups/printers.conf on the client so that the address reads

http://server:631/printers/epson

This is the URL i use on Windows clients on the network and works flawlessly. So from here the MDK client see's it and the right type of printer and all. I try to print anything and it prints a full black sheet of paper (such a waste of ink)

I think i did have it working once but it seems even then every time i rebooted i had to reconfigure it etc. It just seems so much harder to print MDK-to-MDK then it does XP-to-MDK, which seems quite odd to me.

I gotta reboot into Windows to print to my Linux server LOL

any help welcome

Edited by DaveQB

That is odd.. usually cups basically makes everything self configurable with linux. What application are you using to print? Is the setting in the desktop screwed perhaps?

Anyway, there is an updated printer drivers up in Mandrake Update for Mandrake 10. Try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i didnt get back soon (forgot to select email notification (most forums i use do it automatically))

I too thought it might be an app problem but i have tried from OOo and KDEprint config test page and also from the CUPS; admin test page.

i hate try different things and test coz its such a waste of ink and the next sheet printed often has a colour problem.

Whats this new printer driver your refering too ?? Epson driver or a new CUPS revision ??

thanx for the reply.

:D

It's CUPS and all other related drivers, such as hpoj.

Anyway, my office use a mixed Mandrake setup. I just use printerdrake to setup the printer in one of the computer and if that printer works for that computer, cups will automatically share that printer to the other mandrake desktops.